one

'no, it can't be...'

[y/n] kept rereading the words over and over again. they just couldn't process it.

of course, they knew what a soulmate was. the person who you were to be with your whole life, your destiny...lies...those lies that sugarcoated the harsh reality. lies that were told to many eight-year-old children to make them fall asleep.

[y/n] knew. their mother left their father, her soulmate, for another man. [y/n] couldn't bear the sight of seeing their father faking a smile with pain threatening to fall of his tears.

ever since that, [y/n] despised soulmates. they dreaded the day ink would appear on their wrist. but the day has come.

it's been twenty-three hours since the ink has appeared. they didn't know what to feel. they didn't want to be hurt in the end, not for her, but for their father's sake. but then again many soulmates turned out just fine.

if they're being honest, they were rather intrigued on how he would meet his soulmate. the words embedded in their wrist were rather...interesting.

well aware that they were dissociating, they snapped out of it and tried to focus more on practicing on their instrument. closing the case of their instrument, they got one last glance of the word and sighed.

▂▂▂▂

"i miss you."

"i miss you too."

▂▂▂▂

"hey, uh, wake up. it's closing time."

[y/n] woke up to a few taps on their shoulder. what happened? what time is it? why were they inside the music store? why was their head throbbing? why were there too many questions running through their head?

fluttering their eyes open, they uttered out, "uh, yeah sorry. what time is it?"

their vision was still hazy so they tried their best to make out the person's face. perhaps it was a worker?

"eight pm," the worker responded, "may i ask. is that your instrument or are you borrowing?"

[y/n] averted their gaze to the instrument and smiled shyly, "no, it's mine."

"ah. got it."

[y/n]'s eyes finally adjusted to the lights and were able to make up the person's face.  lazy-looking onyx eyes, and short purple hair. cute.

"i hope you go home safely." the worker gave a small smile.

that smile.

"i miss you."

"hey, what's your name?" [y/n] grabbed the purple-haired girl preventing her to leave. realizing what they did, they muttered a sorry and let go.

"it's fine...it's jirou kyouka." jirou smiled. that smiled. butterfly's started flying in [y/n]s stomach.

"ahh, thanks," [y/n] got up and gathered their things, "i'll be going now. stay safe on your way home."

flashing a smile at jirou, [y/n] sprinted to the door, confused and embarrassed.