Chapter 28: Captain Philippe

CHAPTER 28: Captain Philippe

KATE'S POV

My head is spinning frantically! Damian's kiss completely caught me off-guard! Why did he suddenly do it in front of Page? Speaking of, Page is dragging me to somewhere I don't know. My wrist hurts from his clutch.

Finally I found my voice. "Page! My wrist is hurting! Don't drag me like I'm an animal to be slaughtered!" His grip is something so possessive and brutal.

He did hear what I said. I thought he'll let go. I'm waiting for him to let go of my wrist but he switch to something more surprising. He slip his fingers though my own and just like that, we are holding each other's hands.

I glance at his face with a puzzled look and he smirks in return. "I'm saving you, don't worry Kate!"

This is the second time that he's dragging me to go on his car and I feel uneasiness. The first one on the cemetery troubled me big time. It ushered me into a lot of cat-mouse chasing gala with the paparazzi.

He opens his fancy black Ford Mustang GT Roush giving me a hint to enter. I voluntarily seek the comfort of the passenger seat and he immediately walks through the other side taking his throne, the driver's seat.

We are both tired. It's evident. We are both roughly breathing from the not-so-fun-run fiasco, our lungs literally have a catching-up mechanism thing to do.

"HA-" Page is trying his best to talk even though he's struggling to breath. Still, I don't want to face him. "HA-HAPPY-"

He make an exaggerated inhaling motion and he continues, "BIRTHDAY KAYLEENA AYLA"

He take a deep breath once again, "THERENE ELEANORE HUGHES!"

Finally, I manage to look at his face, "That's a mouthful to say right?"

My eyes went teary because, my dear friend Page greeted me on my birthday. It's been years, long, long, long years since the last one and seeing him struggle and doing the best that he can just to say that greeting, it triggered me to be emotional at the moment. "You know what Page, honestly I'm being baffled, confused because of all the things that you've said and what you've done."

Page wipes my tears using the back of his hand. We didn't even pull our eyes from deep staring at each other. "Kate, what's inside my confession at The Dorchester Hotel week's back, those were all true and sincere. The text message that I've sent you the day after, it's full of my foolishness Kate. If only I can turn back the time, I will not send you that dense message, I'll be damned if that action will ever cross my mind for the second time. If only I can turn back time, I'll choose to be braver to stand between you and the press, to shake off those paparazzi that chase you everyday."

I can see the sincerity through his eyes. I take hold of his hand wiping my tears and for a minute I held it tight.

"I heard shutter sounds a while back Kate and as my reflex action, I drag you once again in my car what I know is for your protection. I forgot, that Elizabeth is there and Damian and it'll be too controversial. What have I just done?" Page rests his head on the steering wheel. I plan to console him by touching him to show sincerity but he moved and faces me once again, "Honestly, I don't know what will happen tomorrow Kate, but it's your birthday today after all! Let tomorrow worry about itself." He gives a grin and I answer with an equally beaming smile.

He starts the engine and I ask, "So where are we bound Captain Philippe?"

"I like that endearment babe. Je t'aime plus que tout au monde !" If only I have the control of my body's blood flow, and if only I don't understand French, I'll not let him see me flustered. I think he can see me blushing in his peripheral vision. What I'm sure of today is that, I really don't know what's the thing between me and him.

"We were seatmates back then on our French class and the four of you were a week late in school so you and I shared my French Language book. Can you still remember it?"

I never realize that I'm sooo laughing at the moment reminiscing the past. "How could I even forget about it babe? Every memories of mine with you in it, they're my well-kept treasures in here." He points to his heart, he's so not doing that gesture. "You want to ask me what my greatest possession is?"

Curiosity kills even though I really don't want to talk to him again because of him calling me 'babe' and it's creeping me out!

"Okay. What?"

He reduce the car's speed with only one hand taking over the steering wheel while his other hand travels to hook on my shoulder pulling me into a hug whispering in my ears, "Your bow."

It finally struck me. My bow, I was a brat back then and he touched my bow and I'm letting no one to touch my precious bow and so I left it on the archery field and he took it and most importantly kept it all these years! I'm just so astounded by the declaration.

"We should find some time to test our archery kills, if you're go for it Mr-Busy-Rowdy-Celebrity-Rockstar?"

"What did you just call me? Honestly babe, I nearly forgot that I'm a celebrity. It doesn't feel one being with you. Archery? Oh, I don't want you to be beaten again. I love you so much and I don't want you to be gloomy." He just winked at me. Oh, can this day get any more awkward?

"Are you underestimating me?" A yawn escapes from me and he sees it. And as a response, I heard a click and my seat had been reclined. "You should sleep, it'll be a long drive." He pats my hair, his eyes twice as tired as mine I believe. He cuts the contact and focus on driving. Damian and I, literally took off from the house very early and now, I'm really sleepy. With what's left of my energy, I manage to raise my hand and tug his black shirt, "Drive safely, okay?" He answered me with a smile and a kiss on my hand.

~End of Chapter 28~