32

Lately, Mark had this nightmare. He was with his daughter in the evening, playing with her in living room, and Meredith was there with them as well. They were laughing and having a good time when the doorbell was ringing.

This evening felt like a déjà vu.

In his nightmare, the good mood ended when the doorbell rang. He remembered- in his dream- he was the one going to answer the door and as he did that, the responsibility of his acts were coming ahead. His mother would never approve a play like the one he had with Meredith. She would never agree to see her granddaughter, telling Mommy to a woman just to be able to say she had a Mommy.

"Mom," he smiled nervously at the short woman in front of him. His eyes flickered on the man behind Mrs. Sloan. "Derek," he said with surprise.

"I think we did well not shouting 'Surprise'," his mother chuckled as she glanced back at Derek.

The woman stood on tiptoes, embracing her son, and kissed him on the cheek. "It's good to see you too, Markie," she said sarcastically. She ran her fingers through her short, blonde dyed hair and shook off a few drops of rain, doing the same thing with her beige denim jacket. "I've never liked the rain, but oh well... hence the ferryboats and my granddaughter," she laughed.

"Where's our little princess?" Derek asked as they both walked inside. "She might be happier to see us than her Daddy is."

"I am happy to see you," Mark grumbled and started walking ahead, leading their way to living room. He was happy to see them, but he was also panicked. What would mother say about Meredith's presence there? He knew actually what she would say... or at least what she would think.

Mark knew the moment when he had to decide what he wanted and where his relationship with Meredith was standing just came.

Alicia was sitting on the couch caressing the kitten and still muttering some words... probably names for her kitten. When she noticed more people coming in, Alicia looked up. Her eyes widened with excitement and she covered her mouth with her hand to hold back the squeal.

"Grandma! Grandma!" she laughed and quickly climbed down the couch. She started running straight into her grandmother's open arms.

"My baby," Mrs. Sloan wrapped her into her embrace, hugging her as tight as she could. She pulled her away to take a better look at her little daughter. "Look at you. You've grown so much and you are so beautiful," her eyes sparkled as she admired the little girl in front of her.

"I missed you, granny!" Alicia sighed and threw her arms around her grandma's neck.

"You have no idea," she smiled, giving her another strong hug.

"Is that your Halloween costume?" Derek asked, wanting to have his presence there noticed.

Alicia took a step back from her grandma's arms and gasped as she looked up. "Deri! Deri!" she squealed and opened her arms.

Derek laughed and picked her up into a strong hug. "I will forgive you this time, but try Derek," he chuckled and pressed strong kisses on both of her cheeks.

Alicia laughed and wiped her cheeks with the back of her hand. "Yucky, Deri!"

"Yuky, Deri?" Derek laughed and started dropping sloppy kisses on her cheeks again.

Alicia laughed as she struggled in his arms. "Derek!"

Derek stopped and smiled at her. "How's my princess doing?" he asked her, running his fingers through her raveled hair. "Why isn't she costumed in princess?"

"I was a bunny," she said and then she adopted a hurt look. "But I am sick now."

"You're sick?" Derek narrowed his eyes as he examined her face closer. "You look fine. Hmm. Why do I have the feeling that someone ate too many candies this evening?"