23

Mark entered the classroom, greeted by a group of noisy children, which were singing to their own abilities. He winced discreetly, never being a fan of this kind of scene.

"Daddy!" Alicia's squeal distinguished easily from the group. "My daddy!" she came running to him, jumping in his arms.

"You're cheerful again," he chuckled as he picked her up in his arms. "Not cranky anymore?" he pressed a kiss on her cheek.

"No," she giggled delightfully.

"That's fantastic then, because daddy really needs something cheerful this evening," he muttered. He couldn't help but smile as her blue eyes were watching only him.

She didn't understand his words, but she knew he was tired. Alicia hung from his neck and kissed him lovingly.

"Thank you, angel," he smiled, content from her comfort.

"Meri didn't come?" with that question, she put an end to his comfort.

"No," he answered dryly. "Are you ready to go home?" he asked her.

"Uh-huh," she nodded and leaned down so that her father could put her back on the floor. She ran to her closet and started preparing her backpack.

"Mr. Sloan," Mrs. Kendrick greeted him once Alicia had left his arms.

"Mrs. Kendrick," he nodded simply in response.

"Long day?" she asked him with sympathy, she had probably noticed his tired expression. Mark just nodded, not in the mood for chatting. "I know this isn't at the top of your thoughts right now, but I need to remind you of our Halloween party," she said cautiously. Mark looked at her, barely interested, but nodded. "She will need a costume and from what I've seen lately, she's not very sure of what she will want to dress in. Maybe you should help her make a decision," she suggested.

"We'll have a talk about it," he said, hoping that she would drop the subject.

Luckily, Alicia was ready to go. "Let's go home, Daddy," she said, handing him her jacket to help her put it on.

Mark helped her dress the jacket and put the backpack on her shoulders. "Let's go," he stood up and took her hand. "Goodbye," he said turning to Mrs. Kendrick.

"Goodbye, Mr. Sloan! Bye, Ally!" she walked them out.

"Bye," Alicia waved back cheerfully. "Ms. Caroline said that I am a good dancer," she said to her father.

Mark made a slight grimace. "She lied," he smiled as he saw the frown on her forehead. "She should have said you are the best."

Alicia giggled, delighted by her father's compliment and walked along with him until they reached the parking lot.

"Anna said she came with the ferryboat today and she saw seagulls," Alicia informed him while Mark strapped her in. "Can we go with the ferry too?" she asked.

"It's late and it looks like it's going to start raining soon," he answered.

"It's not raining," she whined.

"Yet," he added.

"Please, daddy," she begged him sweetly.

"It's cold outside, Al," he explained.

"I'm not cold," she replied. "Please, Daddy! Please!" she begged him again.

"It will get dark soon and you won't be able to see anything," he told her.

"Please," she begged again, this time almost whimpering.

Mark rolled his eyes, groaning. He got into the car beside her and stared at her for a moment. "Promise you'll eat whatever I will give you tonight?" Alicia nodded firmly. "Promise you won't cry anymore while I brush your hair?" Alicia nodded again. "Promise you are going to sleep with me tonight?" he asked her, but this time, Alicia stared at him confused. "You don't want to sleep with me?" he frowned.