7

Meredith's blush persisted until the moment she heard her mobile phone ringing from somewhere in living room. She stormed inside and grabbed her purse fuming inside for her phone. She threw herself on couch and as she didn't recognize the number, she answered curious "Hello?"

"Don't imagine that you are going to spend the day with my daughter without me." Mark's voice threatened from the other end of line.

"Dr. Sloan?" Meredith asked confused.

"Are you looking after more children than one today?" He retorted sarcastic to her confusion.

Meredith rolled her eyes annoyed. "You just got out of the door and you are checking on us already?"

"First of all, I am checking on you and second of all you would better answer the phone each time I call you."

Meredith shook her head amused by his insanity. "Are you at least outside on street?" She asked between giggles.

"Don't laugh, Grey!" Mark snapped at her. "How is Alicia?" He asked calmer this time.

"Uh... I am not 100 percent sure, but I think she is still breathing." Meredith burst into laugh.

"Funny, but she would better breathe when I will see her. By the way, bring her at hospital for lunch."

"Ok. She will be fine. I promise." Meredith said.

"Like I would give a shit on your promises." Mark retorted malicious at Meredith's assurance.

They had had a surprisingly pleasant morning, so Mark's verbal attack brought Meredith over the edge of anger. Could he be that mean? "Maybe you should come back and take your daughter if you don't trust me." She didn't find the energy to snap back at him, so she answered very disappointed.

Meredith expected Mark to answer right away, but that didn't happen. Now that was something that hurt her feelings. She stood up and walked over to window. While she did that, she heard Mark hanging up his phone. Looking outside on window, Meredith watched how Mark got in his car and drove away. She watched his car disappearing from their street and shook her head in disbelief. He wasn't the first bitter man she met, but he was definitely the weirdest and this made her ask herself what could have caused this change on him. Meredith saw him as the sweetest person around Alicia and the bitterest around other people, women especially.

Meredith sighed and returned to couch. She threw her phone down and in the same time, her eyes caught something on table. Meredith picked up a piece of paper, which looked like a list. Checking it, Meredith noticed it was a list of kindergartens for Alicia. He had marked a few names, but apparently he put aside this problem of enrolling Alicia to a kindergarten for the moment. Meredith thought about for a moment and then put the paper back down on table.

In kitchen, Meredith burst into laugh when she saw the mess from Alicia's face. Around her mouth, she had some white/creamy marks and her cheeks had bread and cheese on them.

"What have you done, sweetie?" Meredith walked over to her laughing and took a rag to clean her face. "You look like a piggy."

Alicia took it as a compliment and giggled happy. "I don't like this." She stated pushing away from her face a cup.

Meredith recognized her cup coffee. "Sweetie, but you should have drunken from this. Coffee isn't good."

"Then why you and daddy drink it?" Alicia looked at her and gave her a puzzled look.

Meredith stared at her smiling incapable of giving her a proper answer. "Because sometimes grown-ups are stupid."

Alicia shook her head as she looked back to her plate. "I don't want to be stupid when I will grow up."