20

Meredith opened her eyes slowly, heavy of sleep. It was dark in their room, but her blurry eyes still could read the red flashing lights. It was nearly 6 in the morning. Mark's body was hugging her from the back and feeling his slow breath in her nape, she knew he was asleep. She started moving in his arms, trying to make herself room and get out of his embrace. She took his arm and moved it slowly behind her. Meredith crawled to the edge of the bed and climbed down. She winced as she felt the discomfort between her inner thighs.

Neither of them had used clothes that night, so Meredith was now wandering naked through his room. She stumbled to his closet and fumbled through its drawers after some clothing items. She felt a t-shirt and then something like boxers under her touch, so she pulled them out and put them on.

Meredith headed to the door and winced as the door opened swiftly. He hadn't locked the door. The lights were on the hall, reflecting on Mark's face through the half-opened door. Her noise hadn't disturbed him as he was still sleeping in the same position she had left him on.

She closed the door slowly and crossed the hall to Alicia's room. She had promised her she would sleep with her, so she was going to keep her promise... partially. It was still dark in her room as well as the drapes had been closed, so Meredith walked carefully to her bed. She felt something strong under feet as she reached to the bed and then a she heard a mew. Meredith winced and pushed the kitten under the bed, fearfully looking after any sign of waking up from Alicia. Alicia just moaned and rearranged her position in bed. Lolo, her favorite, was still sleeping in her arms.

Meredith lifted the covers and got inside slowly. She shifted closer to Alicia, so that she could feel the sweet strawberry smell of the shampoo that the girl was usually using. She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep. It was her off Sunday too, not only Mark's. Just that her sleep had vanished in the meantime. She opened her eyes and watched the sleeping beauty beside her. A girl that partially shared her story as little girl. She had never tried to picture herself as mother, but now, as Alicia was already part of her life, Meredith tried. If she would ever become a mother, her child wouldn't have her childhood.

Alicia start fussing and sounding awake. 'Perfect timing this morning,' Meredith smiled. "Hey," she whispered, greeting Alicia.

Alicia rolled to her side, facing Meredith and smiled sleepily. "Meri."

"Did you sleep well?" Meredith asked, caressing her cheek.

Alicia nodded smiling. She put Lolo in front of her and kissed it. "Morning, Lolo."

Meredith giggled as she hadn't noticed that custom on Alicia until then. Then Alicia sent Lolo to Meredith. "Morning, Lolo," Meredith laughed.

Alicia giggled with thrill, snuggling Lolo back in her arms.

"Don't you want to sleep longer? It's still early," Meredith said as she saw Alicia playing with her toy.

Alicia shook her head. She stood up and knelt beside Meredith. "When is my grandma coming?" Her wish of having a kitten hadn't vanished or disappeared in the back of her thoughts, despite of all the promises she had received from Meredith for her kitten.

"I don't know, Al, but I heard she will be here soon," Meredith stood up. She ran her hand through Alicia's hair, brushing it slowly. "But hey, aren't you excited? Today we're going to buy fishes," she tried to cheer her up.

Alicia nodded with a half of smile on her face. "Can we buy golden fishes?" she asked her.

"Sure," Meredith smiled.

"And can I make three wishes?" Alicia asked her again.

"I think you can make more than three wishes if you buy two fishes," Meredith giggled. "Let's get ready for breakfast," she said as she threw the covers away from her and jumped out of bed.