21

Three weeks later... in the morning

It was 6 o'clock in the morning when the alarm blared, making Mark stir. Sleepily, he hit the snooze button and then let his head crash back into the pillow.

15 minutes later the alarm blared again. This time, Mark growled loudly and refusing to open his eyes, he looked for the clock to stop it. He let out a moan of satisfaction as the silence fell over his room again. It was one of those rainy mornings, when all he wanted was just to lay in bed. It was also one of the mornings without Meredith, so he and Alicia were back to their hectic routine.

Another 15 minutes later, his phone started ringing. He had precisely left it on a chair across the room so that would force him to get up and go turn it off. Mark threw the blanket off him and rubbed his face with both hands, before he stood up slowly from the bed. After he stopped the alarm from his phone, Mark trailed towards the bathroom. He showered and then got dressed before going to wake Alicia up.

Mark opened the door slowly and peeked inside, hoping he would find her awake. Unfortunately for him, Meredith hadn't slept over their apartment, so Alicia was still sleeping. Mark sighed disappointedly and walked inside, heading quietly to her bed. He sat down at the edge of the bed and shook her gently.

Alicia was sleeping in the middle of her big bed with Lolo and Bambi by her side. Meredith had decided to let Bambi go, so her old stuffed rabbit was now sleeping with Alicia and Lolo each night. Alicia moaned in protest when her father shook her. She rolled onto her stomach, throwing her arm over her two toys and turning her back on her father.

"Alicia, it's getting late so wake up," Mark said softly, but struggling to keep his patience.

"No," Alicia whimpered sleepily.

"Please, Al!" Mark shook her a little harder this time.

Alicia let out another whimper and refused to wake up.

"Al!" Mark continued shaking her.

Her face rubbed against her pillow as she gave him another refuse. It was late and he still had to get her ready for kindergarten and feed her, so Mark decided not to beg her anymore. He stood up and threw the blanket off her. Alicia shivered and snuggled with Lolo and Bambi.

Mark groaned as he saw she wasn't going to listen to him so he leaned down and scooped her up onto his arms.

"I don't want to wake up now," Alicia muttered sleepily.

"Me neither, but we have to get ready," Mark said and Alicia snuggled to his chest, sticking her thumb in her mouth and sucking it.

She continued to sleep while her father carried her to the bathroom. Mark put her in her sit on the counter and turned on the cold water. From the moment she left her father's warm arms, Alicia opened her eyes and started yawning as she was now starting to wake up. Mark splashed some cold water in her face, washing it carefully, while Alicia was fighting against his hands.

"I want to go to bed," Alicia cried.

"I know, but you have to go to the kindergarten and I have to go the hospital," Mark tried to convince her.

"You go and I'll stay," Alicia suggested, pouting.

"Let's not argue, Ally," Mark said, barely keeping a light tone of his voice. He picked her up and put her down on her feet. "We have to brush your hair now," he said, reaching to take her by the hand. As he did that, Alicia hid her hand to back refusing to go with him. Still calm, Mark picked her up and carried her outside.

"I don't want to go!" Alicia continued complaining.

Mark ignored her and took her into her room. As he put her down on bed, Alicia crawled to her pillows and clutched on one.