Chapter 5

Since it was Sunday, War decided to visit Khun Niran at his apartment. He had bought a couple of fruits for the old man. He hadn't been to the store for a few days since he wasn't keeping well. So War decided to stop by with some fruits for his boss. He got into the elevator and pressed the button for the third floor. The doors almost closed when suddenly an arm shot its way between them, almost hitting War in the face.

"Wait for me!" An owner of the arm jammed between the doors called. That voice belonged to someone War knew recently.

Another hand shot through, and the person pushed the doors open. The doors slid open again, only to reveal a grinning Yin Anang Wong. The guy whom he hadn't seen in almost two months.

"Good Morning." He said, grinning like no tomorrow. War hoped it would be a good morning until now. He was ready to really give whoever hit him a piece of his mind but quickly put that idea to rest when he saw Yin standing there.

Yin climbed on. Now, this is when any normal person would say; 'good morning, Which floor are you on?' Then proceed to press the button and ride the elevator with the other person. But instead, War's mouth had a mind of its own.

"You almost smacked me in the face." War spat.

Yin scrunched his eyebrows together. "What?"

"When you stuck your arm through to stop the doors from closing. You almost hit me."

"Oh shit, I'm so sorry." Yin apologized and smiled in a friendly way. War was surprised that Yin wasn't making fun of him.

"It's okay. What floor?"

"Same as you, Nong. Why do think I came here for?" He rolled his eyes playfully, "To visit my grandfather."

War rolled his eyes and pressed the button for the third floor again. The doors closed, the button with the number glowed orange, and the elevator began to go down. War leaned his back against the metal wall of the elevator. One hand was carrying the groceries bag and the other was in the pockets of his jeans.

The lights above started flickering and the elevator gave a final lurch upward before groaning into a halt. Yin reflexively held his hand on the wall to keep himself from falling. When War stumbled, Yin reached out and seized his arm to keep him from falling straight on his nose. The lights had gone out completely.

"What the-"

War and Yin stood silently in the elevator, listening to each other's breath. Both trying to comprehend what had happened.

War pulled out his phone and put it on flashlight mode. The small room suddenly exploded with light. Yin grabbed the bar under the button board and looked at the door to see if it would open. He thought they might have already reached the ground floor.

He then pressed the alarm bell, over and over again, while War stared at him from the other side with his back against the wall and his arms crossed holding his phone. He too seemed in a bad mood, in fact after a while he blurted out:

"Will you stop ringing that bell?" Freed turned to him just as nervous.

"How do you think we can get out of here? But what do I tell a moron..." muttered the final part, which War heard perfectly well because he raised his eyebrows in irritation. He rolled his eyes and looked over the panel for the emergency call button.

"Think it'll still work?" Yin asked lightly.

"It should," War said, setting his bag down.

He pressed on the call button, hoping that someone would answer and get him out of there.

"Hello, this is the emergency center, how can I help you?" War let out a sigh when he heard a voice through the speaker.

"Yes hello, we're visitors of Khun Niran who lives in apartment 3C. The elevator just broke down and we're stuck. Could you please send someone to help us?"