Epilogue

War gazed and took in the scene that gradually unfolded before him as he made his way, through the crowd. In front of him, all he could see were the backs of people's heads. The sun had just set, bringing down the dark curtain that enveloped the whole sky; with it came a rush of colder winter winds that caused War to shiver a little even with his fluffy purple sweater. Despite the chillier weather; the paper candle lamps that were hung along the thin strings attached to the lines of the electrical posts, were aligned along the pavements of the river created a warmer picture.

It was nostalgic. It brought a feeling of familiarity that weighed in his chest, keeping him grounded. He grew up with it, and he treasured the tradition of the festival, not because of its original values, but because of what it allowed War to have, the feeling of joy and contentment of having a few hours with those you care about through the shared ritual. 

This year, War smiled at the thought of spending this day with the love of his life. They celebrated this day together for a few years together, but today was a lot special than before. It was their third anniversary of being together, for the second time. But if you calculate the time before their breakup, then, it would be five years since they had confessed their love for each other.

He was pulled back to reality when he felt his fingers being intertwined, clasping close until they were sealed together. The smile on War's face widened, his cheeks dipped, forming deep dimples that decorated his eyes perfectly, making him look softer when he saw Yin beside him.

Yin could see the gleam in War's eyes as they reflected the warm orange lights that were above them. From this angle, Yin thought War looked beautiful with the way the light cast itself upon his face, lighting up his face in a different glow against the purple of his sweater.

"Shall we get going?" Yin asked, and War nodded. They still had a lot to do. They had spent the day at Yin's house with his family. After lunch, everyone decided to head out to the Banks of Ping River to celebrate Loy Krathong.

After walking for a while, they stopped and looked around at the different stalls that sold various cut-outs of banana trunks decorated with different tips and folds of banana leaves; on the sides were flowers, pinned, a candle, and three incense in the middle. Some tables sold sizes of lanterns with lighters. The couple purchased whatever they wanted before walking to the watersides further away from the other crowds, careful of the mud that touched the edge of the river.

With a banana float in one hand, War knelt down. When they were both settled down, making sure that their shoes weren't sinking. In the distance, maybe on the other far side of the river, someone had fired small fireworks. As they burst, different colors streaked out, painting the dark surface of the water sheet in colors. Red, pink, yellow, and orange took their turns to light up against War's face and Yin couldn't take his eyes off him.

War turned towards the water, bringing both hands to cradle his float before closing his eyes. Yin watched as War made his silent wish to the flickering candle. His face loosened its tension on the muscles, lines smooth and sharp. Yin turned to his own piece before following War at making a wish. When War finally opened his eyes, they slowly placed down their pieces. Contented, they watched them follow the flow of the river with the candles still steady and not sinking to the bottom to accompany the fishes.

After they were done, the couple drove away from the festival, the crowds and loud fireworks. But even then, they could still hear the faint fireworks breaking in the sky. On the way back, they bought a lantern before heading to the Rise rooftop bar, the space where people who wished to watch the scenery away from the crowds and light up a lantern safely.

Yin took it upon him to hold onto the edges of the thin sheet to allow War to burn the coated ring at the bottom where the lantern would be getting its smoke. His boyfriend was tall, so War didn't have to put too much effort into trying to reach under.