Chapter 1

War watered the row of flowers in the window. As he finished the last pot, he walked back to the counter and picked up his phone. Ray and Kla kept bugging him to go out with them to the nightclub since it was a Saturday night, but he couldn't just give in. This was the reason he needed to work part-time in the first place. He declined again and turned off his phone. He placed it back in his pocket before he took out his books, and started working on his report. At two hours until close, the flower store was totally empty. Well, they were hardly any customers. So, he figured that they wouldn't come in this late, and he decided it would be as good a time to finish some of the report work before he had to start his closing duties.

He was so focused on the material in front of him that he didn't hear the chime of the bell above the door nor the footsteps making their way to the front counter. The sudden sound of a throat being cleared mere feet in front of him made him look up with a start. Face burning, War quickly shoved his books off to the side, and he looked up at the customer in front of him.

The light glimmered over the customer's tall frame, illuminating his most expensive-looking three-piece suit, dark hair slicked back off of his forehead, features sharp and glare professional. War knew right away that he wasn't an ordinary customer.

"Pardon me for interrupting your study session," came the low rumble accompanied looking around the small store. War watched him as he takes in the store, his face reacting to every detail.

"I- I'm so sorry! I didn't hear you walk in. What can I help you with?" War said, regaining his composure with a bright smile on his face, dimples showing. The bell rings indicating another customer, and War turned to look at the guy who walked in.

"Hey, can I get a rose bouquet? I'm in a hurry," War nodded with a smile.

"Sure. I'll get it for you. Excuse me," he said to the man who came first before walking towards the roses section. War could see the man moving around a bit and watching him from time to time. Once he was done with the customer, he turned towards the man.

"Sorry for the wait. What can I help you with, Khun?" War asked politely. When the man didn't even try to say anything, War continued, "I hope you made a decision with the flower choice. Just so you know, I started working a few days back. So, if you're looking for recommendations, I might not be able to help you out as much." War was getting nervous around the man. He seemed to be intimidating and a bit weird.

The man turned towards War but didn't say anything. With one hand in his pant pocket, he walked towards the flowers and brushed his fingers along the soft petals of one type of flower, finally looking over his shoulder.

"Don't worry. I just need a flower that means "get well soon." The man said with a thin-lipped smile.

War blinked.

So far, Khun Niran had only given him a beginner's course and taught him the names of all the flowers, how to wrap the flowers into bouquets. But he still hasn't learned the meaning of them yet.

"No suggestions at least?" The man asked with a smug smirk.

"I guess, the peonies or daisies will do the job. But if the person is allergic, then maybe carnations or even roses?" War said but it ended up as a question.

Another smirk appeared on the man's face as he walked towards the counter.

"Sure. Then give me a bouquet of carnations with daisies bouquet," War nodded and proceeded to get the flowers. When he walked towards the collect the flowers, he turned towards the man.

"Do you have any color preference?" The man shook his head as he scrolled his phone. War had to hold himself from saying anything. He decided to make to choose himself. He selected yellow daisies with cream-colored carnations. He even grabbed some green ferns and leaves before bringing them to the table at the side. He tied them together and grabbed the cellophane paper to wrap them. He finished it with a simple bow and a card stuck on it.

"Here it is, Sir. That will be-" War typed into the cashier.

"No need to tell me the price, Keep the change, Petal" the man interrupted him, sliding an unnecessarily large bill across the counter.

War's brain almost short-circuited. He didn't know whether he was stuck on the tip large enough to pay for his groceries or the nickname 'Petal'.

He looked back at the man and scrunched his brows in question.

"Yes?" the man asked, raising a perfectly manicured brow with a cut in return.

"Ah- nothing," War murmured.

"Just so you remember, Roses-" he pointed to the roses. "Represents love, passion. Sunflowers are for Loyalty. Lilies, stand for Purity, tranquility. Tulips for True love, Orchids for beauty, and everlasting love. Next, Pansies for pain. Even for platonic love. Hydrangeas mean gratitude. Carnations is Good fortune." The man pointed out to each flower respectively.

"And Daisies, for new beginnings," he said as he reached out and pulled out a yellow petal from War's hair. War looked down. His cheeks turning red in embarrassment. He had got his answer on why the guy called him 'Petal.' But he still didn't understand why the guy suddenly gave him the brief explanation.

'What? Why did this guy just explain that out of nowhere? Did it even register in my mind? Did I pick the right flowers for his bouquet? I hope I did. He didn't seem to say anything against it.'

"So anyway, what is it you were working on when I came in?" He asked as he took the bouquet and looked at War. War snapped out of his thoughts.

"Ah, it was just a report due Monday." He said and the man nodded.

"Why did you-" Before War could ask him about the brief explanation, the man's phone buzzed and he looked at it.

"Anyway, thanks for the bouquet," He nodded before walking towards the exit.

Just before he could walk out, he turned and looked at the store and then at War.

"Shame. This store is going to be shut down soon," he said before walking out.

War blinked again. He didn't expect that.

TBC...

Published on 11th September 2021

Hey my lovely peaches,
How do you like the first meet? Don't forget to share your comments and press the gold star below! See you soon!
Love,
Kimmy