Chapter 55: America

Nico had another nightmare. That was the norm now. It was like a schedule. Nico expected to wake up soon, but instead his nightmare, which was about the jar, changed to another dream about his mother. And it picked up exactly where it left off, just like last time. Like he had paused a movie and went to watch more later.

The boat trip to America took weeks.

There wasn't much to do during that time but play with their toys, play with each other, and stare out at the neverending sea.

A couple of days after they set out, a warrant for his mom was issued. Since they were on a boat, no one suspected that that was how she left. They assumed she was still hiding in Italy somewhere.

Nico and Bianca were so bored. Playing with toys lost its appeal pretty quickly, and Nico and Bianca were arguing too much because they were stuck in such close quarters that they couldn't play together.

Finally, after what they all thought was years, they made it to America. Maria felt like a weight had been lifted off her chest. She wouldn't have to worry about getting arrested anymore. It would be very hard to find her in an entirely different country. Even if they did, they couldn't do anything about it. She was in America now. She couldn't get charged for things she did in a different country.

After a week of being in America, they had pretty much settled into a hotel. That's when Maria would go walking outside while her children were at school to look for a new building to host, well, whatever she hosted. Nico still didn't know.

Eventually, she found the old warehouse he had seen in one of his other dreams. She cleaned it up inside, and set off back for home.

This time, Nico was expecting the dream to end.

He nudged Will awake and told him what happened.

"Well, that sounded like a boring trip." Will said, voice thick.

"For an almost 7 year old? It was a nightmare."

Nico sighed. "It's really weird to see how I was back then. I was so....different. I was like a normal kid. Well, besides for my undiagnosed learning disabilities and my identity as a demigod, of course. I just mean, I was a little kid. How most little kids are. Annoying and happy. Not a care in the world. Before all of the trauma. When I see myself like that, it's hard to remember that that was me only 4 or so years ago."

Nico grabbed one of Will's hands. "Would you have preferred me that way?"

Will sat up and grabbed Nico's other hand. "No, no, of course not! You know that I think you're awesome just the way you are."

"I know. I just had to ask."

A half hour later, Nico spoke again. "Will?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm too scared to sleep. I don't....I don't want another nightmare."

Will slowly climbed out of bed. "Hold on. I'll be right back."

Even if Nico still couldn't sleep very well, he was glad that Will was always next to him. Nico somehow knew that if he was alone he wouldn't be able to sleep at all.

When Will came back, he was holding his guitar. He strummed a couple of times before he started playing and singing "Here Comes the Sun" by "The Beatles." Nico knew this song because Will liked the Beatles. Nico did, too.

After he finished, Nico told him, "Really, William? You're so cheesy."

Somehow, watching his sappy boyfriend playing a song in the middle of the night just to make him feel better, Will's hair a mess and only being half-awake, made him feel better.

"What? It's a relaxing song, and those lyrics are some words you really need to hear right now."

Nico smiled. "Well, it worked. I do feel more relaxed."

Will yawned and set down his guitar. He climbed back into bed. "Good." He kissed Nico on the cheek. "Try and go to sleep, okay? Wake me up if you need anything. I'm here for you."