Chapter 24: Back to Camp

When Will woke up, he was surprised that Nico was already awake. He looked over to where he was at, and had to do a double take when he saw Nico playing on Will's old Nintendo 3DS.

"Nico, why are you up? And why are you playing on my Nintendo?"

"Oh, sorry. I thought it would be okay if I played on it."

"No, it's fine. I'm just surprised."

"Animal Crossing is fun." Nico said. "I like Isabelle. She's cool."

Will nodded. "She is pretty cool, huh? Oh, did you know that no matter what gender you start the game as, she always has a crush on you?"

"Really? That's cool. By the way, how is this working for me? How can I play on it without it breaking?"

"There's no internet connection, like your IPod. I made sure to keep the Internet off."

"I woke up in the middle of the night, by the way. Couldn't get back to sleep. Didn't want to wake you. So I found this. I played something called Pokemon for a bit, and then I found Animal Crossing, and I think I've been playing that for 5 hours. I made my own character, by the way. So I wouldn't mess your character up."

"Did you know they came out with another one? New Horizons? I prefer this one, though."

"Cool. Damnit, I got stung by bees!"

"You want to bring it back to camp and keep it?" Will asked.

Nico looked up from the screen. "Really? Thanks."

They went down to go eat breakfast. This morning, it was something that looked like a croissant, but flatter and had powdered sugar on top.

"Cornetto!" Nico said, sliding into a chair. "I used to have these in Italy all the time."

Naomi smiled. "I thought maybe you would have. That's why I made it. I used to make traditional Italian food all the time because they're so delicious."

Will tried a bite of his, and it was really good. It was softer and sweeter than a croissant, but the main difference was that the inside had a chocolate filling.

"You ate these for breakfast?" Will asked Nico.

"Yep. They were one of my favorites."

"So lucky! They're delicious!"

After they finished eating, Will decided he was going to tell his mom about the tattoo. He didn't want to leave without telling her.

"Mom?"

"Yeah?"

"Um, I wanted to tell you that I-I got a tattoo."

She dropped the plastic plate she was holding. "What?"

"Please don't be mad! Cecil asked me if I wanted one, and Alice knew how to do tattoos because her mom works in a tattoo parlor, so she knew what she was doing! I made sure! It was completely safe, and it healed completely normally! I followed everything I needed to follow so that I didn't mess it up!" Will said quickly.

She blinked. "Show me."

Will took off his shirt, and her eyes widened.

"Wow, that's really cool. But Will, no more tattoos until you're 18, okay? I'll let this one slide, but don't do it again." She said sternly.

"I thought you'd be mad at me." Will said, putting his shirt back on.

"I am. But I don't get to see you very often, so I don't want to waste the time I do get to see you being angry with you."

"Nico got one, too. I asked him if he wanted one."

Naomi looked at Nico. "Can I see it?"

Nico quickly lifted his shirt up to show her, then put it back down.

"That's a really cool tattoo, as well. I know I'm not your mom, but it would be best to wait until your 18 to get another one, as well."

"Yes, ma'am."

After that, they went to pack up their stuff.

Will sighed. "I always hate leaving. Every time it's really hard for me. I mean, I grew up in this house, you know? My mom's here, all my stuff's here. I don't have to worry about the people I love dying constantly."

"Hey, at least you have a home to go back to." Nico said. "But yeah, I get it. You were born and raised here. Don't you want to take some posters or something with you?"

"You know what? Maybe I should." Will said. He took down a few posters and rolled them up and put them in his bag. "By the way, I have clothes here that don't fit. I'm sure some would fit you. You want anything?"

Nico looked through Will's clothes. He found a Nirvana shirt and took that.

Will put some of his figurines in his bag. Once they were all packed, they put everything in the car. They went back inside to say goodbye to Naomi.

"It was nice to meet you, Naomi." Nico said. He put his hand out to shake, but Naomi hugged him instead. Nico looked a bit shocked, and he stiffly hugged her back.

"It was really nice to meet you too, Nico." She told him, pulling away. "I've been hearing about you since Will was little. It was nice to finally put a face to your name."

Nico looked at Will. "I'll go to the car so you can say bye to her."

Will hugged his mom. "I love you, mom. I've missed you so much. I'm so glad you got to meet Nico, and to tell you that we're dating."

"I'm so proud of you. Delivering a baby? Protecting camp? Healing campers? Getting with the boy of your dreams?" She shook her head. "You're so amazing. How did I manage to have such an amazing son?"

"How did I manage to get such an amazing mom?"

"Iris-Message me as soon as technology goes back up, promise me."

"Okay, mom. I promise. I love you."

"I love you too, William."

Before Will could leave, his mom stopped him.

"Please marry Nico. I beg you."

Will's face got red. "Mom! We've only been dating for 4 months!"

"I know. Just, you guys seem perfect together. I would love to have him as a son-in-law in the future."

Will smiled. "I forged a birth certificate for him, since he didn't have one. That means we would be able to legally get married."

"I don't mean to pressure you, honey. He just seems like a nice boy. And you both need each other."

Will nodded. "I know. Gods, if I told Nico that I think about us getting married in the future, he would freak."

Naomi laughed.

Then Will walked towards the car, waving to his mom as he left.