Chapter 23: The City

After Will came down the stairs, Naomi asked them if they wanted to go into the city.

"Nico, the city is so cool. It has so much music! There are so many restaurants and places to shop, and so much entertainment, it's so cool!" Will informed him.

"It's a big city? A lot of people?" Nico asked.

"Yeah..." Will said hesitantly. "I don't think it's any busier than Manhattan, though."

"Okay."

Instead of taking Jules-Albert, Naomi drove them in her Mazda.

The day was pretty warm. There were only a few clouds in the sky, and the air felt so much more dry in Texas.

Once they got out of the car, they decided they were going to go look at some of the shops while Naomi went off to a music store.

"It's easy to get lost here, Nico. You better hold my hand." Will whispered to him.

Nico rolled his eyes, but didn't say anything as Will's hand touched his.

"So what store are we going to first?" Nico asked.

Will shrugged. "Whichever shop we see first, I guess."

"Are you looking for anything in particular?"

"Not really. I just want to get you something from my hometown, you know?"

"You don't have to get me anything." Nico told him.

"I want to, though."

They walked into a clothing store, and Nico saw a zip up sweatshirt that was black and said "Austin," in big white letters, with a sunset skyline above the letters. Nico tried it on, and Will whistled appreciatively.

Immediately, all of the windows in the store shattered at once. A dog being walked outside started repeatedly barking. People started screaming and running out of the store.

Nico and Will both looked at each other, their eyes wide. They made the silent decision to run out of the store and never come back.

It was only at the next store did Nico realize he was still wearing the coat.

"Keep it." Will said. "They won't notice one coat missing now that they're dealing with all of the broken glass."

"Okay."

Then they both started laughing. Soon they were laughing so hard that they were crying. Nico didn't care that people were staring. He was with Will. And Will had just accidentally broken about 50 windows. And told him to just steal a coat.

"I swear I didn't mean to do it." Will said between laughs, wiping tears from his eyes.

"I know, but it's just so funny." Nico laughed.

"I just- You just look so cute in that coat. Apparently so cute that I used my super sonic whistle. At least nobody passed out." Will sniffed. "I feel so bad."

"You feel so bad yet you're laughing?"

"You are, too!"

Once they got their laughing under control, they explored the store they were standing in.

Instead of clothes, this store had candy. And a lot of it. Any American candy they could possibly imagine.

"Well, I want some fudge, now that we're here. And some Cotton candy. How about you, Nico?"

"I haven't tried either one before."

Apparently, Will was so appalled by that that he bought 50 dollars worth of candy that Nico had never tried, no matter how much Nico protested not to waste too much money.