˗ 𝑓𝜄𝜈𝜀ˏ ˋ 𝛥𝑇 𝑇𝐻𝛴 𝐶𝐻𝛴𝛱'𝑆 ˎˊ ˗

⍣ ೋ

⍣ ೋ

"Morning, Mrs. Chen," Shaun greeted Katy's mom at the door after knocking and taking his shoes off.

"She's not ready yet. Y/N's here too. Come have some joe while you wait," She let him inside and went back to serving breakfast.

"Katy, Y/N, Shaun's here!" She called down the hall to where Y/N and Katy were.

"Yeah, Mom, be there in a minute," Katy replied back, stumbling through the hall lazily.

Y/N pulled her bag over her shoulder and went out towards the dining table taking a seat on it and shot a smile of greeting at Shaun, who reciprocated it back gladly.

"Ruihua, you're supposed to be helping your dad stock the shop," Mrs. Chen scolded her son who was still seated at the opposite end of the table.

"Mom, I can't work on an empty stomach, my legs get crampy," he complained, "Maybe Shaun can help him instead of just showing up every day to eat our food." He looked to Shaun who was pouring a glass of orange juice for himself.

"I'm happy to help," Shaun offered.

"No, it's Ruihua's job, let him do it," she reminded.

"Waipo," Shaun greeted, sitting beside Katy's grandmother.

"That seat's for Waigong," the old woman replied.

"Oh, sorry," He moved over a seat to be seated beside Y/N.

"He's getting all his favourite things this year for the Day of the Dead," she continued in Mandarin with a small smile on her face.

"Are you sure that Waigong's allowed to take Funyuns and cigarettes back to the afterlife?" Shaun asked wearily.

"He can take anything. Last year I put a bottle of whisky on his grave. And it was gone the next morning," She claimed in defense.

Y/N let out a small laugh while Shaun sneaked a look at her.

"I know you kids think it's silly," Waipo started.

"We don't think it's silly, Waipo," Y/N told as Katy kissed her on the head after she entered the room, "It's sweet, in fact,"

"Yeah, we just know Waigong would've wanted you to move on and enjoy your life," Katy completed.

"'Moving on' is an American idea," Katy's mom stated, grabbing the plates to set the table.

"You're American, Mom! Don't forget." Katy reminded, calling out as she took her own seat at the table beside her brother.

"Shaun, Y/N, did my daughter apply to any new jobs this week?" Mrs. Chen asked Shaun directly, sitting between Y/N and Katy to start eating.

Katy signalled for both of them to keep quiet about the truth.

"Well, not really," Y/N gave a weak smile.

"She really likes her job. We all do," Shaun claimed, avoiding the question sneakily.

"Mm-hmm," Katy nodded her head in agreement.

"Waigong didn't move here from Hunan so you could park cars for a living," Mrs. Chen remarked.

"Well, on that note, I think we're gonna miss our bus," Katy stood abruptly, pushing back her meal.

Shaun rushed to finish his breakfast while Y/N rose to her feet to join Katy.

"I'm sorry for my unacceptable job. And for staying out late last night, trying to enjoy my life. But one day, I'll make you proud, I promise," Katy stated, moving to put on her shoes while Shaun took your dishes to the sink and you grabbed your bag again, slinging it over your shoulder.

"I'm proud of you, sis. Parking cars is super hard," Her brother called over to her mockingly.

"Thanks, bro. Maybe one day you'll pass your driver's test, live the dream like me," she shot back at him, "Come on, Shaun, Y/N, let's go." Katy rushed out of the door to avoid further questions that she didn't have the answer to.

Shaun goes to say goodbye to Katy's grandmother as you leave right behind her.

Y/N kissed the top of Waipo's head in farewell and waved everyone goodbye, moving along to keep up with Katy.

"When are you two going to get married?" Waipo asked Shaun curiously, motioning to where Y/N had just stood seconds ago.

"Waipo, we're just friends," Shaun replied in the same language with a small chuckle, though he had to hide a smile at the thought.

"All right. Go, go, go," she scoffed at his response, waving for him to hurry after Y/N and Katy.

∘₊✧────────────────────────✧₊∘