Underestimation

Luca's POV:

We raced down the streets, dashing around corners, dodging pedestrians, and causing a little chaos.  As we rounded a corner, I saw one of the many canals that ran through the city of Venice. Alberto slowed, but I didn't, The canal looked small enough for me to jump.

"Luca wait!" I didn't listen. My vision narrowed so all I could see was the other side of the canal. I reached the edge of the walkway and jumped. "LUCA!"  I had underestimated the width of the Canal. I hit my head on the edge of the sidewalk and fell into the water. I heard a splash, but my head was spinning so much, I wasn't sure if I imagined it. "Luca?" I heard Alberto's voice beside me in the water. The canal was deep enough that nobody would see us, especially with the murky water.

"-Berto?" I asked, my head still spinning. My vision began to darken as I grew dizzier. I felt someone grab me, and I struggled for a moment.

"It's me. Hang on." I relaxed at the sound of Alberto's voice. I smiled and said,

"I won." 

"Yeah bud." With that happy knowledge, I passed out.

I woke with a start, looking up at a dark sky.

"You're awake!" Alberto's face swam into view. "You know, you really have to stop getting yourself knocked out. I am always the one that has to carry you." I smiled and sat up, grimacing.

"Sorry."

"I'll carry you every time." He smiled and I blushed. He always seemed to have that effect on me.

"Thanks- Berto"

"I actually kinda like that nickname." He smiled, turned around and whistled sharply. Bria came running around the corner. 

"Luca are you alright? Alberto told us what happened. Why did you two run off?"

"I wanted to see the city with Alberto."

"Look, it's late, we need to get back to Portorosso. Dario is coming with us." Dario slowly rounded the corner, as if on que.

"We'll stay in Portorosso for the summer, I have family there. Then Bria will stay with me here in Venice once you all go back to school."

"Luca, do you feel okay enough to swim?" Bria asked. I nodded, standing up.

"Alberto, you keep an eye on Luca."  I took in our surroundings for the first time. We were standing in between the water and a building.

"All right, let's head out." We jumped into the water, Bria and Dario swam ahead, Dario's teal scales flashing. We started the long swim back to Portorosso. Alberto and I strayed behind, our pace slowed by my dizziness. During the long swim, Alberto kept looking over at me, concern in his eyes.  By the time things started to get familiar, my head had stopped spinning, and I had caught up to our friends, swimming circles around them. I swam forward with a burst of speed. I looked back to see Alberto grinning. I turned my attention back in front of me, swimming faster. I felt something rush past me and saw Alberto ahead of me.

"Oh you're on!" I raced after him, laughing. We passed over my village, and I waved at the sea monsters below us as we passed.

"Hey Luca!" Mrs. Aragosta called.

"Hello!"  I kept swimming, trying to get ahead of Alberto. We swam above the field where my family's goatfish go to graze, and past the island. When the shores of Portorosso came into view, I swam as fast as I could, adrenaline coursing through my body, I came up beside Alberto. I smirked, dashing ahead of him. I heard him laugh, and continued swimming. Once I got close enough to the shore, I launched myself out of the water, landing on my feet in the middle of the town square. There were gasps and cheering from the people standing around and chatting. Alberto wasn't far behind me, but he made a much less dramatic entrance.

"Alberto? Luca? Where have you been?" I heard Massimo ask as he emerged from around a corner.

"Venice!" I said, looking back at the water.  Massimo eyed us suspiciously, then looked at the water as red and teal scales appeared on the surface.

I turned to Alberto, looking at the exhilaration in his eyes. He was adorable. Alberto's voice ripped me out of my thoughts.

"Luca?" 

"Yeah?" He gave me a sly grin

"Vespa ride?"

"Duh!" We ran to Massimo's house, Alberto made it there first, jumping on the back of the Vespa. I got on the front, grabbing the handlebars, turning the key, and revving the engine. I slowly turned the Vespa toward the back gate. Then, I twisted the handle, and we sped off down the streets