Announcements.

Luca's POV

"Boyfriends?" I asked, excited. I'd had a crush on Alberto since we had come to Portorosso. I'd been dreaming about this for a long time.

"Yeah- If you want." I hugged him again and said

"Yes!" he blushed slightly and smiled.

"I have something to tell you."

"What is it?" There was joy in his eyes and voice as he said,

"Massimo is going to adopt me!"

"Really?!"

"Yeah!" The excitement in his voice faded a bit as he said, "Since I have-" He paused, eyes full of sadness "since my dad ran out on me, I'm- I'm technically an orphan. When Massimo found out, we talked it through, and he is going to adopt me!"

"Alberto that's amazing! I'm so happy for you!" I hugged him tightly and kissed him on the cheek

"Thanks! I'm really excited!" He was smiling so big I thought his face would split in half.

"Celebratory swim?" I asked.

"Race you to the water!" We laughed, and ran out of the backyard towards the water. When I heard a voice  behind me call Alberto's name. He stopped dead in his tracks. I saw recognition in his eyes as he slowly turned around. I turned with him and saw a man with tan skin and light brown, curly hair.  I turned towards Alberto, and saw anger and resentment in his green eyes. I looked back at the man, who was now walking towards us. And I realized The man bore a striking resemblance to Alberto. Before I could say anything to him, Alberto grabbed my hand and dragged me to the water. He charged into the water and I followed as our scales grew over our skin and he swam off, still not speaking. 
"Alberto, wait!" I called, as a deeper voice behind me called to him. I turned around to see another sea monster, with scales just like Alberto's, following us. I swam faster, trying to keep up with Alberto. All the pieces finally fit together as I realized who the man behind us was. I finally caught up with Alberto and said,

"He's your Dad." He didn't speak, but he nodded. I knew how Alberto felt about his dad. I knew he really didn't want to see him. "Come on." I grabbed his hand and led him toward a kelp farm near my village. it was like a maze, if we were going to lose his dad, it was going to be there. I led him through the rows of kelp and back out the other side. I led him to the cave where we'd first met and we stayed there, waiting. when his father didn't come for a while,  I turned to Alberto and asked, "Are you okay?" There was still anger in his eyes as he shook his head.

"He left me, I was just a little kid. You can't just show up after all these years." Tears began to form in his eyes and I wrapped my arms around him as he cried. "Things were good. I was going to have a new life with Massimo." I held him at arms length and looked him in the eye.

"You are going to start a new life with Massimo."

"But my dad-"

"Let's go take care of that. Right now."

"What?" I grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the cave, Going back to the kelp farm and swimming above the rows and rows of kelp, but his father was gone.

"Luca, he's gone." I could hear the relief in his voice mixed with his anger. "Let's go back to Portorosso, maybe he's given up." I almost agreed to leave, until a familiar sea monster swam up behind Alberto.

"Not yet, son."