≡;- ꒰ °Pulverized → A.

🔊 quirk

      /kwərk/

1. A manifestation of power in 80% human beings (scientific).

2. A distinguished part in a personality or person (archaic).

3. An extension of a person, there are three types of quirks: Emitter, Transformation, and Mutant (scientific).

What a nice quirk.' The nurse tells him, clamping a hand on his shoulder reassuringly whilst gripping his hand up with her other hand, tying her delicate, dry fingers around his wrist, opening up his palm that had been hidden by a clenched fist. Patting his back and urging for more, Katsuki can hardly concentrate with so much of her around him. It's annoying, but Mitsuki and Deku are looking for something in him and he needs to give it.

With a deep breath, trying so hard to suppress the feeling of pain lingering in his brain, he lets his quirk spark again. And holy might, it hurts. It hurts so badly, the burn pricks his skin and makes the muscles and vessels inside his hand to ignite with a terrible ache. He hates it, and miserable groan rips out of his neck, it sounds like a gagged sob. 

And it was such a small blast too. Why was he cursed with this terrible thing? He was born with the ability to sweat nitroglycerin, as some emitter-type quirks have a mutant side, he was waiting for this. He knew his quirk was going to be strong, he had developed the tolerance to the nitroglycerin and it no longer made his head feel light like it had when he was a baby. 

The people in his life had to build tolerance to his chemicals as well. It was only fair. It's a good thing one can become immune to toxins like nitroglycerin.

The nurse grips his trembling hand, hands tight on his quivering wrist, and he's afraid. They won't make him spark again, will they? He tries so hard, but the fear does something to him. Tied in by authoritative adults where listening was like second nature- he panicked, knowing he didn't have many options.

And sparked off again, it was bigger this time. His quirk looked like little stars if he took a closer look but he was soon bleary eyed and turning away, trying hard to fight from the older nurse's grip, pain overtook him once more, and another blast seared his skin- drying up the once moisturized expanse, and pulling at his arm, straining his muscles, and making everything there ache.

He never thought his quirk checkup would happen like this.

It felt like the skin on his hand was being torn open and held over bubbling lava, he wasn't sure if he was bleeding or not, he couldn't tell. The stars kept igniting themselves and he had no control! 

None.

The booms wouldn't stop tearing through the air, and all he wanted it to do was end. His palms are throbbing but they force more of those ugly stars, with a sting that blurs his vision for a moment, to breach the air. His other hand reached to his eyes to wipe away tears, and then a sudden current of force took the uncontrollable one yet again, and it was noticeably the biggest blast yet. It makes him stagger back and causes the nurse to retract her hand and look at the burnt area of skin on the edge of her fingers from the impact. Landing on another person, he fears greatly it was the doctor but calms when the manicured hands of his mother's press on his shoulders.

He calms enough to try and wrangle down the blasts, and heaves in a great, easing breath, ready to thank her for placing him out of it- but then she kneels beside him, the words she speaks leaving a mark of pure dread, 'You're going to have to learn how to use your quirk if you want to be a hero, Katsuki.'