Part Eighty-One

Securing the Future

June 2020

'So I shall keep thy law continually forever and ever.'

Psalms 119:44

Elizabeth Munroe, her stepmother, her half-sister, her stepdaughter and their guardians all moved back to Meadvale at the start of June to make the most of the coming summer. Charles Buckingham and Peter Munroe were busier than ever, but would join their families when Parliament broke up and occasionally at weekends. Elizabeth and Claire, accompanied by Miss Ford, moved into Broomwaters, whilst Madeleine and her baby daughter, named Isabel after Elizabeth's late mother, moved into Lake House to spend time with her own parents in her family home. Elizabeth missed her husband and her own house, but Broomwaters was like a second home to her, and as soon as they arrived David Harrington announced Henrietta and Georgina's betrothals, so everyone immediately had something to celebrate. Henrietta was marrying the newly appointed Bishop of Lancaster, a relatively young man who had impressed Archbishop Winstanley, and of course her own father, with his piety and ambition when leading a sizeable chunk of the Church of England into the Reformist fold. Georgina would be staying closer to home by marrying the son of one of the men who had worked alongside her father since the early days of HCR. Both girls were delighted with the news and Elizabeth added to the general joy by announcing that she was with child and due to give birth around Christmas.

Lake House had no particular news, but Isabel was doted on by her grandmother and the guardians added to the mood by allowing their charges more time than was usual to socialise together and with visitors. As always, the Harrington's and the Craig's mixed freely and with the sun also shining there was an air of holiday exuberance about the place. Miss Ford took the opportunity to take a few hours off on their third afternoon to visit her parents. Elizabeth and Claire Munroe were spending the whole afternoon with Henrietta, Georgina and Claire Harrington unfettered, so Miss Scott was more than delighted to look after everyone. Chloe changed out of her uniform and put on the fine gown she had treated herself to out of her savings. She was sure her mother would like to see it, although she felt rather guilty spending quite so much on herself. She had been contributing to her parent's income every month out of her salary and she thought she should do more, but her father would not hear of it, and had sanctioned her extravagance. Deliberately taking the long way round through the village Chloe saw a number of old friends and neighbours, stopping to chat and rather enjoying being admired and respected, feeling rather pleased with herself.

She knew what people said about her. Miss Scott had never hidden her admiration for her protégé's natural talents, and in just six months she had learned much more. Her age had once been a concern, certainly to prospective employers, but with the demand for guardian's still outstripping supply it was by no means unusual anymore. She was seventeen, but in her case no one worried about her age anymore. In fact, in doctrinal terms, if a girl could marry at sixteen she could certainly work as a guardian, even if she was still legally a minor. She had discussed the subject of age with Miss Scott at some length, because Daphne Scott was not generally in favour of their charges being married off so young. She had confided to Chloe that she advised Mr Harrington against arranging matches for his daughters so soon, but the simple fact was that there was just as much demand for dutiful Daughters of Eve as there was for guardians. The incredibly rapid expansion of the movement was creating the demand for both, as family was so central to the doctrine. Young gentlemen turning to the Church, either independently or through the new political channel, could hardly marry heathens. Michael Winstanley was demanding total commitment from everyone, as was Charles Buckingham of course, and there were simply not enough pious girls to go around. Miss Scott had told Mr Harrington that both of his daughters would benefit from another year or two of maidenhood but he preferred to have them settled sooner rather than later. In the same vein Miss Scott was concerned about young guardians not blessed with Chloe's own natural skills. She found it incongruous that the Church and the Party promoted an age of consent of twenty one, whilst rushing inexperienced children into marriage or service.