Part Thirty-One

'The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think. No book in the world equals the Bible for that.'

Harper Lee

Early the next morning Miss Chloe Ford settled Mrs Buckingham, Elizabeth and Sophie around a table in a first class compartment, leaving one space for herself next to the aisle, and pulled down their blinding mantles one by one. She had already turned their headphones on in the car en route, worn under and hidden by their huge coal-scuttle bonnets, and they would not be able to see or hear anything other than their lessons until they got to London, to change trains. Mrs Buckingham had actually suggested taking such care and consideration on what would be a challenging journey, properly and piously taking a great caring interest in her stepdaughter's welfare. Madeleine emphasised that she did not want the two girls shocked or distressed by anything they might see outside of the refined and controlled environment of Meadvale, and her husband had readily agreed with her, before complimenting his young wife on her thoughtfulness. Miss Ford had solemnly welcomed the suggestions, but added that for the exact same reasons the restrictions should apply to Madeleine too, both to see an example to the girls and to protect her own sensibilities.

Chloe could not help smiling to herself behind her own mantle at the thought of the look on Mrs Buckingham's face, as she slipped into her own place beside Sophie and took the girls mittened hands into her own lap. She had been forced to disguise a most inappropriate giggle at the time, and she was almost sure that she had seen Mr Buckingham stifling a smile. But she had some sympathy with poor Madeleine. Chloe was self aware enough to realise that she would not have liked to travel like that herself, even if it was the correct way to manage any maiden, and for a high born Daughter of Eve like Madeleine, similar considerations made nothing but sense. The restrictions were hard on them, and clearly frustrating for Madeleine as well, but it was their duty, and their place, to earn God's love. Chloe would have hated it because she was not like her charges. She had lower ambitions and lower expectations, and God had recognised that she could serve Him in different ways. Guardianship was simply her vocation, her chance to please her parents and earn God's love doing something important and worthwhile. God had answered her prayers, and who was she to doubt His plans for anyone else?

The speed of her various transformations still amazed Chloe. But Pastor Winstanley had preached about them all entering a period of rapid expansion and change. God would ask every Reformist to step up to the plate and offer what they could for the cause. Five months before she had been an awkward, uncomfortable college girl, finding her attempts to forge a career for herself difficult and unpleasant. Then she was abruptly forced to remember who and what she was, spending the summer holidays as a reluctant maiden, before God finally answered her prayers. And suddenly there she was on her way to Paris, in charge of three young women, accompanied by a team of armed protection officers. Her life really was a dream come true.

'Every nut who kills people has a Bible lying around.'

Penn Jillette

"You are still the calmest of us all, Michael," Charles Buckingham suggested, stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets as they strolled along the banks of the river. Pastor Winstanley had asked him to walk after yet another planning meeting. It was a stressful time, the phoney war before the campaign proper, with everyone busy getting their troops and supplies to the front line. And it was so frustrating. Charles had everything he could possibly want for the campaign except time.

"Because I am certain the result has already been decided Charles...all we can do is what we feel is right, in God's love. We have to let him decide." Winstanley put a gloved hand on Buckingham's shoulder and smiled, breathing in the cold, crisp air.