Part Twenty-Three

'No one can appropriate God, goodness, the Bible or Jesus. It just seems that way.'

Anne Lamott

"Is she quite dry Miss Ford?" Miss Scott asked as the two guardians worked in tandem to prepare all the girls for dinner. It was a production line dealing with five of them, plus Mrs Harrington, of course. Miss Scott had shown Miss Ford how to bathe the girls correctly, with Alice, Georgina and Henrietta in the tub first, and then left her assistant to have a try with Elizabeth and Madeleine on her own, showing great confidence in her protégé. Chloe had been a little nervous at first, but Elizabeth was an angel for her, and although she did smack Madeleine on the wrist for not sitting still in the water, a minor warning punishment Miss Scott had told her to use, if she ever saw the need, she managed to cope. Back in the main bedroom, she was busily attacking Madeleine with a huge warm bath towel, when Miss Scott asked about her progress.

"Yes Miss Scott...and both girls have been on the toilet, too." Miss Ford confirmed, really starting to enjoy herself. She just loved to be busy and she loved taking care of people. She already knew what she wanted to do with her life. It was perfect for her and she hoped that she would not have to go back to College for much longer. God seemed to have led her to her vocation and she wanted to follow it, in His love. All the darkness that had settled over her life when she turned sixteen and had to leave school seemed to have lifted, and she felt blessed to be safe in God's loving embrace, doing something useful and worthwhile. She was not a maiden but she believed in God's love, and the girls she found herself caring for needed her help.

"Good, but do not diaper Madeleine just yet Miss Ford," Miss Scott said, turning to frown at Madeleine. "Obviously you quite rightly dealt with the situation at the time...but it was a second offence. I was really very impressed by your diligence, Miss Ford...dear Madeleine is usually such a good girl...but just half an hour in disgrace is an insufficient punishment, of course."

"Oh...I see Miss Scott...I thought that a gentle reminder..."

"She is too old for a gentle reminder." Miss Scott said firmly. "Elizabeth is still a novice and in similar circumstances I might take a more lenient attitude. You joining us is a change for them, and I am afraid maidens do not like change. However, Madeleine is certainly not a novice. She is betrothed and will shortly be married to a very important man...not to mention a stepmother to Elizabeth...she should know better and she should behave for any guardian without hesitation, regardless of the circumstances. Is that not so, Madeleine?"

"Yes...Miss Scott...yes my behaviour was...unforgiveable." Madeleine stammered, standing naked before the two guardians and clearly terrified and embarrassed, looking from one to the other. "I was thinking about Miss Ford...I found her presence distracting..."

"Silence...I did not ask for your wicked excuses, you naughty girl...that only makes things worse." Miss Scott snapped and Madeleine hung her head in shame. "But you are right, your behaviour was quite unforgiveable...so...Miss Ford...I think you can administer the paddling and decide the number. It is another delicate balance. No guardian should ever be cruel but the punishment must serve its purpose. It is designed to correct and encourage. Our paddles do not cut, excessively mark or bruise the skin, but as I am sure you remember Miss Ford, it burns like the fires of hell...so, what do you think?"

"Clearly Madeleine understands the serious nature of her sins," Chloe responded slowly and carefully, thinking things through, well aware that Miss Scott was testing her. "She is also betrothed...and therefore cannot be treated like a child...so I think I would recommend thirty six strokes Miss Scott, and perhaps tomorrow morning in disgrace?"

"Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction shall drive it far from her. Proverbs 22:15 Miss Ford, as I am sure you know. The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to herself bringeth her mother to shame. Proverbs 29:15 this time, but as you say Madeleine is not a child...however, you are fair and reluctant to be unnecessarily severe. This does you nothing but credit, Miss Ford, and Madeleine will surely thank you for her beating once it is done. I would have said fifty and a week in disgrace at the very least and she will thank you for your kindness."