Chapter-42 Fiancé

~It's the connection we can't explain.~

Lily's Pov

"I love you."

My eyes sought his and everything within him stilled, his darkening gaze stared into mine with surprise before they stirred with affection. Affection for me. "Adam?" I queried my heart escalating with fear. Fear of rejection as he didn't respond.

His eyes widened slightly as if registering my words into his mind. "How can you love someone like me-" he began the vein on his temple throbbing. "-someone who's caused you nothing but pain and tears?"

"It's different, it's all in the past now. You're not an asßhole anymore but a gentleman." My fingers threaded towards his face. "You have to promise me, none of us will ever mention about the past."

"Please," I added caressing the callous stubble on his chin. "But before we do that, I just wanted to clear something." He nodded patiently.

"Mariella. Why was she there in your office that night?" My heart dreaded the answer.

Inhaling a deep breath he sighed in exasperation his expression clouding with regret? "Lily, I'm going, to be honest with you." I patiently waited for him to continue.

"I didn't trust you in the beginning, no matter how hard I tried hating you but something dawned me even more towards you. I tried everything-" he stated gripping the steering wheel with such intensity that it made his knuckles turn white.  "-after the trip, I felt like opening up to you, expressing my demons to you and whatever your father made me go through."

"But something inside me snapped and I thought you'd betray me, leave me, and I would be alone once again burning into the fire I created myself, and then Mariella showed." Pressing my lips into a thin grim line I swallowed the lump trying to be as calm as I could. "She showed up because her dad was having some financial issues regarding their business and that was perfect."

Adam trailed brushing his hands through his locks. "So I used her in making you jealous since you refused to give up on me I had to." His deep voice strained a bit at the end. "I had to give you a reason to hate me and Mariella was perfect for that but what I didn't realize was that in the end, I would not only end up hurting you but myself as well."

His adam's apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed before speaking the words loud and clear. "I ended up falling in love with you and the reason why she was there in my office that day was because her dad's financial crisis were finally sorted out."

"But as if a storm had arrived you darted into my office all flustered and hurt and then you finally broke. After all how long can the heart suffer and then you broke off the engagement. I didn't stop you, after all, this is what I wanted from the beginning right. Then why did it hurt so much when the moment you walked out of my office. My house."

"For once-" he clasped my palm against his heart, clamping his eyes chest. "My heart felt, oh lily it felt everything. The love, the hurt."

"Adam-" I was cut off when he reached down towards my figure grabbing me by my arms and settled me into his lap. The warmth of his body seeping into mine and I instantly encircled my fingers around his neck not wanting to let go. "And did I ever tell you? The engagement idea was mine darling."

My eyes grew large and my breathing labored as I stared at him in shock and hurt. He wanted to break me that bad?

"Let me go." I struggled wiggling in his lap yet he had his arms clasped around my body in a steel grip. "Doll, just listen to me." My body stooped knowing there was no escape. Rolling my eyes dramatically I shot my head towards anywhere but him making a sigh part out of his lean body. "Now, now don't be a brat."