47: Facing Ghosts

The past week was bliss. Nick and I didn't say anything to anyone specifically we simply showed more affection towards one another, and our friends quickly put the pieces together. I caught Micah frowning whenever Nick held my hand or kissed my temple, but he didn't speak a word on it. On the other hand, Ava gapped and squealed the first time she noticed the intimacy between us. She had grabbed my hand and rushed us to the bedroom pressing me to tell her everything, no details left aside.

"I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours," I said. A knowing smile played on my lips as she stared at me confused. "Tyler?"

She cupped her red cheeks, trying to hide their color and control the silly smile from spreading on her plump mouth.

"It just kind of happened. You know how we've always teased each other and playfully flirted. I've never taken him seriously; I mean he's always jumping from girl to girl. At my first party with you guys, we kind of got drunk and kind of made out, but I never expected anything more from him, I knew how he was. We made out some other times whenever we were bored, but something shifted after Valentine's Day. I don't know why but he was pissed that someone else got me a rose." She laughed as she recalled the fight they had that turned out to become a confession.

"I still didn't trust him completely, but he really showed me another side. A sweet, gentle, and caring side. So, when I couldn't sleep that night at Anne's house I texted him, and... well, you know what happened next."

"Why am I hearing of this only now!?" I gushed, gently pushing her shoulder. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks! Now you! Who made the first step?"

"I don't really know. I don't even know when it all started exactly. I still can't believe he would be interested in me in the first place." She dismissed my last sentence. Of course, he would be interested. I still couldn't see quite why though, but I told everything that happened. Perhaps it had been the last gift from Anne, an assurance he wouldn't be, he wouldn't feel alone.

Now, sitting on his lap, alone in his bedroom, only bliss invaded my mind. No doubts, no questions as his mouth finds mine again. Our kiss filled with hunger as if we couldn't get enough of each other. Our lips met and our tongues danced together again and again until we pulled apart for air.

"You have no idea what you do to me," he whispered, his hazel eyes shining bright, never leaving mine. Those golden freckles burning into me. He softly shifted us, deposing me on his bed. He hovered me for a moment before I stole another kiss from his soft lips. I wanted him all to myself. Instead, he rose to his feet and walked away to grab his guitar.

"I remember owing you a private concert." He smirked back at me before sitting in the chair by his desk. His fingers start pulling the strings in a beautiful melody. His raspy yet velvety voice sang words that I knew held much more meaning to him than anyone else. Each note taking my breath away. I love him so much.

My eyes watered from the emotion. I smiled at him as he put down the guitar and approached to kiss my forehead. He kneeled before me and grabbed my waist, snuggling his head into my lap, his arms wrapped tightly around me. "Don't ever leave me. Please" he pleaded, whispering with a broken voice.

"Never." I pulled him even closer to me but then guilt overcame me. I've been so wrapped up in Nick that I forgot about his mother, about my private encounter with her. He would hate me for it. "I have something to tell you."

He pulled apart to look at me, his eyes full of concern. My voice probably betraying my emotions. I took a deep breath and went for it. "I met your mother a few weeks ago."

He frowned and looked up. His body tensed up in a way I wouldn't have believed him to be relaxed, cozily hugging me just moments ago. "Right, at my grandmother's."