42: Valentine's day

After a few weeks, Nick finally started to act normal again. I could still see the pain and sorrow in his eyes, but I knew he wouldn't be consumed by it. He never spoke of his mom again, but I knew it probably affected him too. We spent our free time hanging at his house, playing games, watching movies, basically doing anything that could distract and amuse him. He didn't seem to mind the attention and he slowly recovered from his loss, although the pain would forever stain his heart.

Once again someone he cared for abandoned him, however, this time was worse because he couldn't hate her. Unlike the others, Anne didn't decide to give up on him. She loved him more than anything in the world and he loved her. That's what made it the most painful, and that pain would never go away.

Valentine's day was approaching, and it was also a welcomed distraction. Of course, Nick couldn't care less about it, but helping Noah prepare a gift slash surprise slash confession to Laura took a lot of time and energy. It was also quite funny to see some more confident girls trying to get Nick's and Tyler's attention before the "V" Day. One day a brunette deliberately walked into Nick and dropped the books just to act cute for him and discretely slip him her number.

The day came and I swear Noah was about to shit his pants when we entered the school. I teased him for it before I left for my history class. Nick was already there, completely focus on whatever he was writing.

"Hey stranger," I greeted him as I took the seat beside him. He looked up with a warm smile and I swear my knees went weak, making me sit down in a very ungraceful way. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Noah asked me to write the card for you-know-who. I'm having a hard time understanding what he wrote."

"And that's exactly why he asked you to write it. His writing can be a challenge for those unequipped with my talents. Let me see, I'll dictate it for you."

Nick passed me the paper in which Noah poured his heart. Nick started beautifully writing on the card as I read each word. I knew Noah was sweet but didn't expect him to be that romantic. Laura was a very lucky girl. When we were finished Nick thanked me and I spent the class daydreaming about receiving a confession letter from Nick. I might as well keep dreaming.

Our class was interrupted by a pair of girls. Every year, during Valentine's day students, could order roses to be delivered to others. Everything was organized by the cheerleading squad in exchange for a small fee that would finance their summer camp.

Every year, girls got excited, hoping their name would be called.

"Lyanna?" The girl with the list of recipients called and every girl in the class squealed while the boys whistled. Lyanna raised her hand, blushing, and the other girl, who held a basket full of roses gave her one.

They kept calling names, the excitement and noise never leaving the class. I couldn't help but smile at the happiness of the girls. And for a split moment, I wondered if Nick would offer me a rose? I mean not then of course, but maybe one day. I glanced at Nick who leaned on his chair, arms folded with a boring look. I guess he won't.

Someone called me, breaking my eyes from Nick. It was the girl with the list. I slowly raised my hand and received a rose. I never received a rose before. I looked at it, no note attached to tell me who sent it. I didn't really know how to feel about it. My cheeks got warmer, and I looked at Nick again. He was now sitting straight, with flat lips, looking at the rose in front of me.

Something told me he wasn't the one who offered me the rose. It was silly, but I still, somehow felt happy.

After class Ava, Nick, and I had to go to the rooftop. It was our mission to bring a little bit of romance to the place for Noah's love confession.