Chapter Seventeen

Taking care of pets requires a great amount of effort and work. It's like taking care of a child, same expenses, but it should be more manageable. It turns out, it's much more difficult for a four-legged creature, much more than it's two.

As a married couple paces around the house to chase two cats, one is agile, the other is just too good at hiding. Krist wanted to give up because he was already sweating in his shirt, but he has yet to search for the little nooks and crannies in the house just to locate Muffin. Singto on the other hand was running in circles, as Pluto decided that this was the perfect day to play catch. Soon enough, Singto was catching his breath, he figured he needed to go back to the gym for some time.

It was a Sunday, it was supposed to be a relaxing day. After a week of adjusting to a new life with the cats, it was already tiring them out, because they had to learn each step one by one. They had to learn the do's and don'ts when it comes to taking care of them, and they even had to visit specific pet stores to purchase the right kibble and food they could feed the cats.

They also had to 'baby-proof the house, because two days in, the cats had already found several chew toys that weren't really toys, with dozens of tissue paper and shoes scattered on the floor. Krist insisted that they not make any more mess, hence the additional budget for toys. Singto didn't usually curse much, but it was inevitable after seeing all the... dirt on their floor, they needed to also buy a cat litter box.

It was at these moments that they slowly learned what needed to be done to make the cats fully settled in their home, it wasn't easy, but somehow, given their current finances and the help they got from both the internet and their friends, it had become manageable.

That is, until, hours later they found themselves smack-dab in the middle of an argument.

"Muffin is always a mess with her fur, look at you, already sneezing too much!"

"As if Pluto didn't scratch tons of tissue rolls around the house!"

Singto scoffed, arms crossed, "Pluto is a sweetheart. He was just hungry at that time. Why don't you look at the fat one over there, hogging all the food!"

"The audacity to call your daughter fat!" Krist exclaimed, he was now livid. Moreso now that Singto rolled his eyes at him, "I'm just saying, out of the two of them, Pluto creates less chaos."

"Weren't you just chasing him around the house as he toppled over tons of bottles on the table?" the pale man squinted his eyes at him.

This couple had a lot of similarities, it's a shame that stubbornness was one of them.

"Babe, Pluto was just playing with us. How long did it take you to find Muffin?"

"Don't call me 'babe' while you're besmirching Muffin's personality."

"Besmirch? Stop with the big words, Kit. Just admit it," Singto kicked himself off the wall and went to the kitchen to get a drink. As he was doing so, Krist had already followed him, seething, "Fine. I'll admit that Muffin is the better child."

"Wow, we're going with that route, huh? Okay, do it your way," challenge was evident in Singto's eyes as he looked at him, slowly sipping his water. He turned his head away and craned his neck, stretching it, "Come on, Pluto. Let's play at the porch. Someone here has his favorites."

Krist yelled after them, picking Muffin up from the floor, "Isn't that you?!"

That night they slept on separate sides of the bed, the tension still visible from the argument. It was one of the longest nights they've ever had.

The fact that their argument wasn't even that serious but with all the stress they've had from the work they needed to do for the past week, it contributed to their hotheadedness. This fight was inevitable, but it can easily be resolved, right?