Chapter 12

Pink's POV:

I walked over to Don and Benny who were sitting on someone's truck. I looked over to see what they were talking about and saw Pick and Brae talking to Matt, Greg, and Ronny from school.

"Wonder what that's about." Benny said taking a sip of his beer.

"I dunno." I said as they turned to look at me. Don leaned over and sniffed me.

"Is that reefer I smell on you?" He asked smirking at me. "Coach is right man. You're running with that bad crowd again. You've got an attitude adjustment you've gotta make right now." Don said joking with me.

"Yeah right like I'm the only athlete at this fuckin' party. I mean look at you two drunks." I said getting annoyed.

"Coach is right Don. They don't care whether we win or lose. Just remember that." Benny said cutting in. Don just threw his empty cup on the ground and stood up getting off the truck and turning to look at us.

"Check this out. Watch me get this beer." He said. Benny grabbed him trying to put him in a head lock before he broke out of it telling us to watch. He walked over yelling that the cops were here and everyone that was around the keg took off running towards their cars.

"Man he needs another drink real, real, bad." I said as Benny started laughing putting me in a head lock and walking over towards his truck. We got in and sat inside just sitting in silence for a minute before Benny finally decided to speak up.

"Look I just wanted to talk to you. Are you quitting football? Or is it just the pledge thing?" He asked looking at me.

"I dunno man. I don't know if I'm up for any of it anymore." I said sighing and looking down at my beer.

"Come on Pink. Don't make that mistake. It'll be the biggest one you ever make in your life." He said tapping my arm. "I mean no one quits their senior year let alone if they're starring quarterback. We got a shot at state and we kicked ass this past year. This is what we've been working for our entire lives isn't it?"

"Yeah I guess. It's just that if I do play next year I want it to be on MY terms. Not theirs."

"Just remember this Pink." He said getting mad. "This ain't just about you. It's about all of us. You, me, Don, Mel. You'll be fuckin' us over man. Or maybe you're just scared is that what it is? Whatever man. Have a nice night." He said getting out of his truck and slamming the door. I just sat there staring at my beer for a second before taking a sip and getting out of the truck. I looked up to see Brae walking over to Benny asking him something and handing him keys before pointing at me and walking off. Hmm wonder what this is about. Benny walked back over to his truck grabbing something out from underneath his seat. A mic? What's he need that for. He gave it to Brae before coming over to me.

"Hey man can you do me a favor?" He asked me smiling at me.

"Yeah sure." He handed me Brae's keys and told me to go find her car and move it over to where the van was that she was standing in front of. I nodded my head and started to walk off.

"Hey Pink." he said stopping me. I turned to look at him and he just looked down and sighed before looking back up at me. "Look man I'm sorry about how I acted earlier. If you don't wanna play then don't. I know you're trying to make this decision for you it's just hard seeing someone I call a really good friend make this kind of decision. I don't wanna see you walk away from the field your senior year." I was shocked by the apology and by what he just said. He walked up to me and put his arm around my shoulder standing there for a second. "Do what you gotta do Pink. You'll still be a friend to me. It's just gonna suck tackling people for someone that's not you."