Chapter 5

Derek's phone rang and he reached to grab it, "Shepherd." He said as he pressed the green answer button on his android phone. Yes, he was one of those douchebags who hated everything ios.

"What kind of greeting is that?" His mother lectured into the phone. "I taught you better than this, boy. When you answer the phone you say 'Hello this is Derek Shepherd' like a civilized human being."

"Hello, this is Derek Shepherd." Derek rolled his eyes into the phone.

"Don't roll your eyes." His mother lectured.

"Yes, Ma." Derek sighed.

"I am just calling to ask if you are still planning on coming next weekend." His mother said.

Shit. Derek had completely forgotten he said he'd come. "Of course I am."

"And you still have time to buy your plane tickets since you forgot." Mrs. Shepherd said.

"There's no need. I already bought them." Derek lied.

"uh-huh." Mrs. Shepherd replied sarcastically. "Now when you come I have a few people I think you should me-"

"No." Derek interrupted. "No blind dates."

"Derek Shepherd you are thirty-five years old. You aren't getting any younger and it's time for you to settle down." His mother lectured.

"And I get why you think that but-" Derek started.

"You know Kelly Anne? She helps out at the church, well her son is an accountant who is quite handsome. I think you two would really hit it off." She interrupted.

"Ma." He groaned.

"And do you remember Kathryn Hurley? She was a grade below you in high school. Such a sweet girl, you should invite her out for coffee. And if you two hit it off you might even consider moving back here." His mother continued.

"Mother. I don't want to meet these people." Derek said. "And I'm not moving back."

"I really think you should reconsider." She said.

"I'm not going to-" Derek started.

"You could always try and have a real relationship with Mark." His mother suggested.

"That's not going to happen." Derek sighed. "You know this."

"Then just go on a few dates." His mother said. "I promise it won't be as bad as you are thinking it will be."

"I can't," Derek said abruptly.

"And why exactly can't you?" His mother questioned.

"I'm bringing a friend along," Derek answered. "It would be rude to leave her and go out on dates."

"A friend?" His mother questioned. "I didn't realize you had a friend."

"Well, I do. Her name is Meredith. She's a great friend." Derek replied.

"Derek." Mrs. Shepherd started. "She isn't one of your- have sex with friends, is she?"

"Ma!" Derek exclaimed in horror.

"I'm sorry Derek but never have you once brought home a friend who you weren't having relations with." His mother said.

"Me and Meredith don't do that." Derek shook his head. "Can we please not talk about my- relations?"

"Yes, yes." His mother said. "She's a real friend right? Not some actress you paid to pretend to be your friend?"

"Have a little faith in me, Ma." Derek sighed.

"Okay." She said uneasily. "I guess you having a friend at all is a win."

Derek took a deep sigh.

"Don't forget to book your tickets. And make sure you tell Meredith that she doesn't have to come all the way to New York just to get you out of a few dates." His mother said.

"I will, I promise," Derek said.

"Although I'm excited to meet her." His mother replied. "And I'm sure the sisters will be too."

"Great yea. It's going to be a lot of fun." Derek lied.

"See you soon." Mrs. Shepherd said.

"See ya," Derek said.

"I love you." She replied.

"Love you too ma." Derek hung up the phone then laid his head on his desk in exhaustion.

(This was written in Salem MA so beware of witches while reading. Let me know what you think!)