Chapter 39

Chapter 39

"Oh, my champion, Maan, Maan, Maan. Tch, tch, tch." Jagad Tamas sucked on his bright, perfectly shaped white teeth as he rambled around Maan.

"You leave me no choice. You only managed to kill one of her playmates?" He laughed hysterically. His laugh resonated in the empty, dark throne room. The hair on Maan's skin rose but she stood still.

"May I know who that fortunate soul is?" He asked as he stood nose to nose in front of her. The silver ring around his eyes shone such brilliance in the dim lighting.

She could smell the faint scent of night jasmine.

"Me...Mekhala... s..s..sire. I think." She stuttered, for the first time she felt helpless.

"What?" He commanded.

"Mekhala." She almost gasped.

"Mekhala? Did you kill one of my trained sentinels? Oh, so that is why she was not replying to my letters, neither did Gamya. This Princess seems to be rather...influential. Don't you think?" He ambled toward the golden arrowed throne.

The throne of arrows. The throne was made of the arrows he used to kill anyone between him and his throne.

He sat down with utter elegance and crossed his legs placing his forehead on his knuckles. Maan's heart picked up speed with every breath.

"Mm. You know, I don't think I should let you live anymore." He purred in his deep, soft voice. "You won't ask me why?" He asked in a bored tone.

"Why sire?" She whispered, taking his command.

"Well, because you killed your own daughter."

Maan had gone really, really still. The silence that had spread in the room was now making the loudest noise. It was almost unbearable.

Unexpectedly, the king roared with laughter. Hysterical laughter. He almost convulsed with laughter.

Maan was confused but she was afraid.

"You actually thought that was true?" He continued to laugh. "You should've seen your face!" Maan smiled looking absolutely frightened and with caution.

"Sire, you got me." She heaved a sigh but he stopped laughing all of a sudden.

"I got you yes, except Maan, I do not have a good sense of humour, it is true." He narrowed his eyes and looked at her observing every muscle that was changing in her face. '

"B..bu..but my child w..was dead." The world seemed to be spinning around her. She was horror-struck in just a second.

"I told you so, but no. You think of me so lowly, dear Maan Madhur. I am a bad man but not as bad as killing day old babies." He mocked. "I only kill months old babies. Or at least have tried."

"But sire..." She was about to say but the King interrupted.

"My dear Maan Madhur, I did not kill your children, I brought them up in my own kingdom. I simply told you they were dead so you can do your work without any...distractions." He smiled.

"Children? I had only one child." Her heart was racing and sweat lined her back.

"Oh no, twins. You gave birth to twin girls. Beautiful bundles of joy!" He mocked again. "I named them Mekhala and Lekha. I sent them to the state orphanage and trained them well. When they were ready they joined my son, Agni and went on missions."

Maan could not feel her legs, her lips wobbled and her eyes blurred due to the tears that appeared. 'My daughter? I... Me...Mekhala.'

"You are joking, right? My lord, you are joking, right?" Maan smiled sadly and was shocked. Her smile faded.

The Ballad Of Nirvanaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें