Thirty

{Please play 'See You Again' by Charlie Puth & Wiz Khalifa when I say so!}

Casey

"Stop stressing," Nate kissed my cheek as I was pacing around my room. "Nate, Jack doesn't know the neighbourhood that well, he's lost. It's all my fault." I breathed out in frustration. Jack hasn't returned yet and it's been over 24 hours. I didn't want to make a drama and call the police, but I was really regretting that choice.

"Let's enjoy our picnic, please?" Nate pleaded, sounding desperate. I gave in and followed Nate out of the house. The flower field wasn't that far from where we lived, so we just walked there with a basket full of food. As we were swinging our hands back and forth and nearing the field, a figure catched my eye in the distance.

The person was standing in the middle of the field, his back facing us. He was wearing a hood and black jeans. It looked like he was holding a gun against his head.

Am I really witnessing this?

"Nate," I gasped, pointing at the figure. "Shit," Nate hissed walking a bit faster. "We need to help him," I said and without thinking I walked closer to the poor boy.

« PLAY "SEE YOU AGAIN" NOW »

"Hello?" I spoke up, my voice shaking. This was all so scary to me. What if he had lost his mind, what if he was going to shoot all of us, including himself down?

As soon as the boy turned around, my eyes widened and my mouth fell open. "Jack!" I yelled, the tears starting to stream down my face.

"Don't cry, Casey." Jack demanded, sounding way too calm about this. He was holding a god damn gun pointing to himself.

"W- why would you do this, stop Jack, this isn't a joke." I managed to speak through sobs. I refused to believe this was actually happening. I'm going to wake up any second and I will find Jack safely in his bed.

"It's for the best, Case." Jack smiled weakly, tears rolling off his cheeks as well. His hand was shaking and all you could hear were our sobs and sniffs.

"Jack, please don't do this, I don't want to lose you as well, losing my mother was enough!" I screamed, hoping to knock some sense into him.

"Casey, it's better like this, I promise. Nate will take care of you, you won't have to worry about me and my feelings anymore," Jack's raspy voice sounded so unhealthy, how could I only now notice how broken and vulnerable he was.

"Jack, you saved my life so many times, just by talking to me. Come on, you can save yourself now too." I continued, fearing for Jack's life.

"Princess, I love you, I promise I always will..." Jack started to cry hysterically, making me panick. I saw his index finger putting a little bit more pressure on the trigger.

"Jack, no! Please, Jack stay with me! Nate, do something!" I yelled as I embraced Jack as tight as I could. My tears were wetting his shirt as I felt his heart beating like crazy. He wrapped his free arm around my waist as he whispered in my ear,

"Hush little baby, don't you cry, I'll be looking over you, like an angel in the sky."

And with that,
a shot was fired.

He had lost the battle
with the monster inside of
his head and here he was,
lying lifeless in my arms.