008

"¡Esa bonita bandera!
¡Contiene mi alma entera!"

"¡Esa bonita bandera!¡Contiene mi alma entera!"

___________________________

3 days, still Blackout (106°)

Katherine stood besides Sonny at the demonstration together with Nina. "Yeah!", they both shouted and clapped. "DACA was not a gift from some benevolent saint, right?", asked the woman who gave a speech. "No!", everyone shouted. "You made it happen, you fought for it. And that's why it still continues now.", kept the woman saying. Katherine looked at Sonny and Nina and kept on yelling and clapping. "Cause what about the people who don't qualify, like my niece. She gets into college without papers, but...no work-study for her, no federal aid for her so she doesn't get to go to college." "What did she say?", asked Sonny his best friend. "She said her niece couldn't go to college.", explained Katherine and looked at her friend. She watched him to look around worried before him leaving. Katherine ran after him, dragging Nina along.

Both girls found him and sat down on the park bench. "What's going on man?", asked Nina worried. "I knew I couldn't get a license. But no college?", said Sonny in shock. "She was talking about undocumented folks.", said Katherine and watched her friend to look up at her. And that's when it hit her. He was undocumented. Katherine wrapped her arms around Sonny, pulling him in a tight hug. Both wanted to go to college together and experience new stuff. One of the things they talked about when no one was around.

Dreams were the stuff that kept Katherine alive and happy but without money, there were no dreams. Without money there wouldn't be anything to dream about and that made Katherine feel sad. Money always had to be involved in everything and if you didn't have it, there was nothing to dream about. Money was needed. It always will be.

"We were gonna be like you.", said Sonny and looked together with Katherine at Nina. The older girl always has been a role model for all four kids. They always tried to be good at school, at home and anywhere they went. But only Katherine seemed to succeed. Not only because she worked hard but because she believed and fought for it. She gave her best. But sometimes your best doesn't seem to be enough. "Hey Sonny. I have to go help pack up the rest of the stuff from the salon. You want to come with me?", asked Kat, wanting to distract the boy she liked. "No thanks. You go.", he said making the smile to disappear from her lips. "Oh okay. Bye then.", she said disappointed and walked away. Kat really thought that he wanted to help and say goodbye to her. Guess she was wrong.

●●●

The young girl helped her aunts to pack everything before looking inside the empty salon. They were really going to move up to the Bronx. Without her father again. "You coming?", asked Cuca as she picked up the last box. "In a minute.", answered Katherine and looked around the room. She would miss this place more than anything. Next to the bodega of course.