cast

"Love me as I amI'll hold your music here inside my hands"

"Love me as I am
I'll hold your music here inside my hands"

"I love you"

"I love you too"

"We say we're friends, we play pretend
You're more to me, we're everything"

"We say we're friends, we play pretendYou're more to me, we're everything"

SOMETHING  Katherine Esmeralda Cruz always dreamed of was to get out  from the Heights. She wanted a successful life and career, so she's working hard in school to get there. But for now, Kat is working at her aunts' salon.

KATHERINE COULDN'T call Washington Heights her home. Maybe because she was white and not Latina enough. Her mom, Regina, was a remarkable and strong woman who grew up in the Heights. Her dad, Emanuel, was Bulgarian and moved to America when he was very young, his parents wanted him to have a good education and he was very thankful for that.

EMANUEL MET Regina back in college. Both never got married and didn't had the intention to. All they wanted was to have a small family and that's what they got. Kat was their whole world. She was their baby girl and nobody could change that. Until this car accident. When Katherine was 4 she lost her mom and was only left with her dad. No siblings at all. Her dad did a good job taking care of her but at some point it was too much. He lost his job and didn't have enough money to pay the bills. He just couldn't take care of his little girl any longer.

SO EMANUEL HAD to make a very hard decision and to leave his 5 year old child in the care of her mother's best friends. The salon ladies Carla, Daniela and Cuca. All three agreed to do it and were excited to watch the little girl grow up and to become a wonderful young woman like her mother. Katherine understood with the time that her dad couldn't take any care of her but he promised that as soon as he finds a job, he will continue to take care of her. But that took longer than she thought.