002

"Are you satisfied with an average life?
Do I need to lie to make my way in life?"

"Are you satisfied with an average life?Do I need to lie to make my way in life?"

_______________________

Katherine finally entered Daniela's salon, hanging up her backpack and replacing it with her working one. She put her hair in a ponytail and went over to some costumers. "Hi there.", she said politely. "Hola hermosa, how's school?", asked the woman, grabbing everyone's attention. "It's good I guess. I get good grades and everything." "But?", she asked again. "But I wish for something more. I desire more.", said Katherine and began to blow dry. "Like a boyfriend?" "No!", shouted Katherine and began to blush hard. "Sonny is her boyfriend!", shouted Cuca from across the room. "Usnavi's cousin?", asked another costumer. "He's really cute, lucky one Kat.", said another one. "Oh my God you guys! We're just friends!", kept Katherine saying everytime the rumors came up. But once in a while she wishes those rumors were true.

"Don't pretend that Sonny is your friend.", teased Vanessa her friend and stroked her hair. "I'm serious.", kept Katherine saying but everyone just shook their heads. "I don't have time for boyfriends anyway. I'm too busy with school." "We know. You're too ambitious for your own good princesa.", stated Daniela and went behind her niece. "I was actually going to tell you something guys.", mentioned Katherine and started to play with her fingers nervously. "What is it hermosa?", asked Carla as she cut some hair from a woman. "I applied to Stanford for their writing program." "And?", asked Cuca. "I think I got in!", said Katherine happy and smiled. "Eso es increíble!", shouted Daniela and hugged her niece. "Wouldn't it be too much with school?", asked Vanessa as she painted some nails. "I can do those things together. That program could be my future. If they like me I might even go to Stanford a year earlier!", said Katherine excited and looked at everyone. "Sorry.", she mumbled and went back to work. "Ay princesa, don't pressure yourself into such things. You have time.", said her aunt Daniela and kissed her forehead gently.

[Music starts]

(KATHERINE)

I was pulling out my hair
The day I got the deal
Chemically calm
Was I meant to feel happy that my life
was just about to change?

Katherine walked away to get some hairspray.

(KATHERINE)

One life pretending to be the cat who got the cream
Oh, everybody said "Katherine is a dreamer"

(VANESSA)

People like to tell you what you're gonna be

(KATHERINE)