001

"In the heights
I flip the lights and start my day"

"In the heightsI flip the lights and start my day"

___________________________

The sun started to peek through Katherine Cruz's window making her to pull the bed cover over her head. Her phone rang making her to sigh and to look at it. It was a text message from Sonny. See you at the bodega in 10 minutes. Katherine only smiled to herself and texted back a simple "good morning" to her best friend. "Let's get dressed!", she whispered and got up. She put on a blue 80s styled hot pants, a black crop top combined with a flannel, a pair of white Adidas super stars, green sunglasses and a necklace. Her favorite accessories were definitely necklaces and rings. Nothing in between.

Kat got to the kitchen making herself breakfast very quietly, not wanting to wake up her aunts. She made some scrambled eggs and bacon leaving a few for her family members of course. For a drink she made a so called ayran which was very common in Bulgaria and super easy to make.

●●●

After finishing her breakfast packed Katherine her backpack and left the apartment making her way to the bodega to help out. Usnavi pretty much offered her the job and she of course took it. You have to raise money if you want to pursue your dreams and everyone knew that in the Barrio, money was very tight so you had to save it up. On the street you could hear everyone talking, seeing kids playing or people just being together in general. And of course everyone knew Katherine Cruz, the Bulgarian girl with complicated dreams and goals that were hard to achieve. But that doesn't stop her from trying.

As she reached the bodega she couldn't see Usnavi anywhere so she decided to wait. And there he was: graffiti Pete. An old friend of Sonny's apparently. "Good morning Kat!", he said smiling. "Good morning to you too Pete. You wanna spray paint again?", she asked and looked at the spray can in the boy's hand. "Uh yeah. You know, street art.", he said nervous. Kat only shook her head. Both knew how Usnavi would react. She just stepped aside and let Pete do his work. A few minutes later arrived Usnavi and he wasn't pleased as he saw Graffiti Pete. He started to yell and wanted to chase the boy but luckily Katherine stopped him. "Buenos días Usnavi!", she said and laughed. "Buenos días Katherine. Ready to help out?", asked Usnavi smiling. "Ready as always!", cheered Katherine and went inside the bodega, straight to the small fridge.

[Music starts]

(USNAVI)

I am Usnavi and you prob'ly never heard my name
Reports of my fame are greatly exaggerated
Exacerbated by the fact that my syntax is highly complicated
'Cause I immigrated from the single greatest
Little place in the Caribbean:
Dominican Republic! I love it!
Jesus, I'm jealous of it, and beyond that
Ever since my folks passed on, I haven't gone back
God damn, I gotta get on that