Chapter 9

Mimi's hand worriedly brushed back John's sweaty hair.

His eyes looked glazed, his whole face reddened and sweaty.
He was curled up in bed, unmoving, low whimpers coming from his throat.

"Oh, lovey" whispered the woman, leaning down.

She pressed her lips over his forehead, feeling the growing heat and she concernedly stood up.

Paul was right at telling her that he thought John was sick.

He was actually burning up.

"Love, let's try with a bath, okay?" she asked, even if she knew it was useless.

It wasn't like John could actually hear her. Or better, he couldn't respond.

But it was better to tell him before dropping him into a cold bath, or he would probably, and rightly, react negatively.

She ran the bath, before picking him up and undressing him, gently lowering him down into the cold water.

He gasped, body going through shivers as he let the water lap over his body.

"C'mon Johnny, I need to break your fever, love, it won't take long" comforted the woman, trying to relax the fussing boy.

"Cold" he whimpered just as Mimi picked him back up, wrapping him into a warm big towel.

She was happy to have got some reactions out of him at least.

She professionally dressed him up, putting a nappy on him, knowing his body control when sick and catatonic wasn't that great, before gently cuddling him.

John whimpered a little, "Auntie, cuddles" he whispered, letting the woman scoop him up and bounce him slightly, making him sigh softly as he laid back down into her arms.

She felt like she was back in the early days, when John was just a little boy. When he would search comfort in her arms.

And so she was very happy whenever John would curl up like that in her arms, head tucked under her chin and fists happily shaking in delight.

The soft sighs leaving his lips, the twinkling happy eyes whenever someone would praise him and ruffle his hair.

He was Mimi's happy loved boy.

And now, Paul was there too, ready to shower John with love and affection and made him feel loved and cared for.

Mimi couldn't help but feel grateful for his presence. At least, now John was believing a little more about people loving him and that he wasn't as stupid as he thought he was.

Paul had really brought up all of John's amazing strength.

She kept cuddling him, gently stroking his head until he fell back asleep.

He was still too warm for her likings, but she couldn't do more than press wet compresses over his forehead.

She held him throughout the night, gently soothing him whenever he would wake up panicked and in pain.

Paul had arrived at Mendips shortly after 10, eyes bright and a smile growing on his face as Mimi let him inside.

"What are you holding in that box?" she asked, lifting an eyebrow as she eyed the cartoon box.

Paul grinned, "Nothing, just a little present for John"

Mimi shrugged, "Well, it's alright than"

Paul noticed how exhausted she looked, hair untied and wavy over her shoulders and eyes droopy.

He smiled, telling her to go and take a kip, that he would take care of John.