Chapter 8

A small kid toddled over the door.
He couldn't have been older than 4 or 5, with short auburn hair, slightly longer on top and quite curly, and big slanted light brown eyes.

The small child was standing on his tiptoes, peeking from the door, that was left ajar.

In the hurry of pushing him inside and running out quickly, his auntie Mimi had forgotten to locken it, so John had timidly pushed it open, wanting to know who that woman's voice belonged to.

His already big eyes widened.
It was his mommy!

Why was his mommy there?

He strained his ear to hear, but he couldn't quite grasp the words.

He finally gathered the courage and slowly walked outside, walking towards the wooden stairs and sitting on one of the steps, listening carefully.

Mimi sighed, stirring the sugar in her cup of tea.
She slowly looked up, frowning.

Sitting in front of her, her younger sister, Julia, was also drinking tea, looking guiltily at her sister.

"Mary, I can explain-" she started, but was quickly interrupted by the older woman's hand.

"I give you 2 minutes, Julia" she spat out, her dark eyes boring holes into Julia's soul.

The red haired woman sighed.

"Mary, you know I'm not able to take care of a child. Plus, you fully know that John wasn't planned-"

"So wasn't Mater, but mom didn't abandon her" interrupted Mimi.
"It's different! Mom had dad and they loved each other! I have no one! It's not like Alfred cares about that bastard child of ours!" she said, her voice raising in volume as anger heightened in her.

"Well, then you shouldn't have gone with the first man who has batted their lashes at you, whore!" shouted Mimi, getting on her feet and her fists clenching to her sides.

If Julia was hurt by the comment, she didn't express it.

She just stared at her sister with a blank face, before the corners of her mouth tugged upwards, in what looked more like a snarl then a smile.

"At least" she said, tone incredibly sweet and fake, her eyes twinkling in almost cruel mockery, "My body isn't broken. I can have children, unlike you, love"

Auch, that hurt.

Even George Smith's eyes, who, until now, had just stood to the side without talking, had quickly widened, his gaze falling on his wife's face.

Mimi's face had considerably paled and her body had just frozen in shock.

Her miscarriages were something no one could talk about.

The wound was still too fresh in the couple's memory

Julia's face snapped to the side.
Her eyes wide, a hand holding her cheek, where a red handprint was already forming.

She looked at her sister in shock, body frozen.

"Go away, Julia. For God's sake, leave us alone! Leave John alone! He deserves to be loved and have someone who loves him, not a woman who only wants to get in bed with everyone and think that her child is just a burden and a mistake!"

She was screaming by now, face red with rage, her eyes wide and breath ragged, as she towered over her sister.

"Shut up! Shut up, Mary! You're right, John is a mistake! A horrible mistake! And yes, when I got recovered to the hospital it was because I did try to abort, but I couldn't! Happy now?"