Chapter 1 - Escape

The silence was all over the room while I waited for my chicken to come home, in the basement like I always did. This basement was so terrible, I've know that for the ten years that I have been here.

Not a bit of sun came, but there was this hole, it was so tiny, that only small creatures could enter and leave. Nothing that I could fit through.

I would peek through it to see the bit of golden wheat outside of these walls as I wait for my chicken. Yes, my best friend is a chicken. The chicken had kept me company for eight years now. I was grateful.

When I was little, the chicken came in through that hole. He was the only thing that kept me talking. I know you'd think, wow she's crazy for talking to a chicken, but you would too if you were lonely and scared. 

I waited so long for the time to come, for my great escape. When that door opens for those people... if you dare to call them that. I will run through it so freaking fast and escape to the outside world of freedom.

Counting the seconds, standing next to the door...1...2...3...the door opened and the man looked around for me.

I pushed him back with my left hand as I held my chicken with my right. I ran for my life. It had been so long since I had ran, other than in the basement, I wasn't that fast anymore.

"Chandler! Grab her!" yelled the woman with a dish in her hand. She was in her late 40's, but that didn't make her any less menacing.

The wind rushed through my hair and I could see the sun! I reached for the knob, with my hand wide out and...Chandler appeared in front of me. Blocking my escape.

"Why?! Why do you want me in your basement?" I screamed while he dragged me back down to the waste of space, dull, ugly, terrible basement.

He ignored me and poof! Again so, so, so close to escaping and it was ruined. My little chicken was clucking, like if he could talk would say, "What the hell just happened?"

I sat in the warm very trashed chair, thinking of another plan. Petting my chicken all the while, with that evil thinking Godfather face on.

Might as well grab whatever trashy food they left me. As always some type of garbage, that I never had an idea of what it was. This time it looked like this creamy green thing that at any minute would grow legs and walk freely through the field, mocking me slowly. I know I'm just exaggerating things now, but it seemed true enough.

So I poked it and thankfully it didn't move. I ate it with disgust on my face. Crunchy, slimy, sour and moldy, something the Power Puff Girls could surely save me from.

I guess the basement wasn't terrible the first time. It had a tiny T.V with a Spanish news channel that every once and a while showed cartoons with subtitles.

They had a couple of boxes filled with boring stuff down here. Which over some months kept me occupied. Interesting things I found in there was:

a dictionary, I read the whole thing already. A pen, I used it after reading the dictionary. Some glasses, useless but cool. A jacket, for the rarely cold nights and an awesome knife. I found the knife when I was about 7 and I still have the scars.

Wait! How could I be so stupid? I have a knife, a really big knife at that, that I use to carve a secret hole out of here or make a run for it and if Chandler stood in my way, I could use it against him. I laughed menacingly, this was going to work. Excuse me for finally being genuinely excited after all these years.

I started to dig slowly, at the wall where the small hole was. Three weeks later it seemed big enough for me to crawl out of.

I got onto my hands and knees, grabbing my chicken and sliding through the hole.

"Freedom! Free, I'm free!" I whispered loudly to no one in particular. I would have yelled but they would have heard me. I put my chicken on my head like Pucca's friend does. Not that I cared, but I had a lot of bird poop on my head, it was the price of freedom, so I continued on.

It was beautiful, the field just like I imagined and the sun was so intense. How the light touched my face was so great and breathtakingly magnificent.

The front door opened slowly and Mary, Chandler's wife, came out. She sprinted to see if it was actually me outside, in the open. I ran, sprinting for my life, to wherever my feet would take me. Anywhere but here.

As soon as I couldn't see any one and the surrounding was pure fields of the golden wheat. I smiled and crouched down to the soil. I picked up some in my hand and enjoyed the feeling of it.

I was finally free!