The Four Fallen: Thoughts About the Future

Disclaimer: I do not own the Spirit Animals series.

The winding corridors swam around Abeke's vision as she desperately tried to escape the noise that surrounded her. A fortnight had already passed since they returned to Greenhaven from the destroyed beaches of Zhong, but both Olvan and Lenori are still at the Citadel, trying to clear matters up with the leaders of the other nations. So far, the Greencloak fortress was a mess of animals and their summoners. No one knew what to do without their leader around. The noise was slowly getting to everyone. Despite the mental pep talks she'd been giving herself, Abeke had been pacing restlessly in her room for two weeks straight.

It was time to get some fresh air.

The Tower of Dawn was a weird place. It was built underground, with only the tip of it peeking out of the hill where it was built. A door led out of the tower, straight to the top of a grassy hill. Olvan told Abeke that it acted as a last-minute refuge in case of any trouble, so the tower was a quiet place even before chaos erupted, and now nearly no one wandered to these secluded areas of the fortress anymore. A perfect place to unwind.

Abeke unlocked the iron latch and pushed open the heavy door, stepping out of the dank room. Almost immediately, the setting sun showered her with warmth, turning everything within its reach a vibrant gold. Two dark figures sitting on the gentle slope waved to Abeke.

"You decided to come too?" Rollan grinned as he gestured for Abeke to join them.

"Yeah. Everything's such a mess recently," she said, staring at the orange-stained clouds in the distance.

The grass near Abeke rustled as another Greencloak sat down next to her.

"Never thought I'd see all of us four here today," Conor greeted.

For several peaceful minutes, the group sat together silently, each sinking into their thoughts.

"I never thought I'd be sitting here right now with all of you, actually," Abeke admitted after a pause.

Rollan cocked his head at her curiously. "What do you mean by that?"

Meilin was silent, but she turned her gaze away from the distance, brown eyes sparkling with interest.

"Time passes by so fast," she explained. "A little over a year ago, I was just a simple girl living in a small village, but now, I've joined a famous organization, gone around the globe thrice, met so many wonderful friends, and even experienced being on the run. It honestly feels so overwhelming, thinking about the past year sometimes." She ran a hand over the tall grass that grew on the hill as a gentle breeze blew by, caressing their cheeks.

Conor nodded slowly in agreement. "I feel that too. Everything was so simple back then. I only needed to worry about getting the sheep in the pen before sunset and getting them out at sunrise. Not that I want to go back to my old life, though," he added hastily.

"I know. You looked like you haven't seen anything other than Trunswick when we first met," Rollan piped up, earning himself a friendly shove from Conor.

"I guess what Abeke said makes sense," Meilin commented, pondering about the topic. "Everything changes so fast."

The others nodded in unison. The thoughts sent a wave of homesickness and longing into Abeke's heart.

"I mean," Meilin continued. "Soon, we're gonna settle down, and maybe get sent on separate missions. I hate to say this, but who knows? Maybe some friendships will fade, and some memories will, too."

Abeke stared at the sunset. The previously vibrant sun now seemed to have a blue tint to it.

"Everything ends, I'm just lucky I got to have the best friends a person could ask for," Rollan said. His facial expression betrayed his words, however. The wide grin on his face disappeared, and he rested his chin on his knees, curling up into a ball.