Chapter 49

"You can cheat everyone except Death. Death knows how to play his game well and he plays by his own rules. He will come for you only when you're ready for him, always."

🖤🖤🖤

"How long did you know that we couldn't..." Mrithun struggled to find the words.

"At Maya's office," I said, without looking at him. Maya and the others had left to calm down the mob and bring situations under control. They all had said their goodbyes with a few tears and smiles here and there. Mani's face showed he wanted to linger, but he figured we would need some privacy.

We were standing on the bank of a river, which shone like a carpet of liquid gold. The sky was seeping into the water, colouring it in hues of pinks and oranges, with a dash of yellow. Somewhere behind the dark silhouette of a huge suspension bridge, the sun was playing peekaboo.

There was no one on the concrete steps of the Ganga ghat. It was surprising because this place was a hub of tourists. Maybe the aura of Death had scared everyone off.

"I honestly didn't know. I wouldn't have taken it that far if I knew there was a threat to your life," Mrithun mumbled, staring at the flowing river. The rippling water reflected in his coal eyes, making them shine amber.

"You fell in love, Mrithun." I put my arm on his, squeezing it gently. "We fell in love. Love doesn't see all this divides between the realms. Besides, I can't die from just being with you, you know. We have to...to..."

He grinned. "We would eventually have gotten intimate you know, at some point and then..."

"Yeah." I stole my gaze away from him. My face felt hot even at the thought of what all we could have done. There was no doubt that my body craved for his touch , just the way he craved for mine.

"Still, I should have been cautious..."

I put my finger on his lips to shush him.

"What you should have been cautious about is not being so casual about breaking me out of prison. You should've checked for cameras. You three almost got punished," I chided.

"Luckily a superhero saved us," he breathed, holding my waist and dragging me closer. My hands fell from his lips as I grabbed his shoulder at the sudden move.

"I..."

"I'm sorry. I couldn't be a better lover," he exhaled.

"It's not your fault. You just have some issues you need to work on and your next relationship should be fine. You are a natural." It surprised me how casually I said next, as if this didn't matter at all. Obviously for someone existing for eons, this was just a blip, a lapse in time.

"Next! My next?" He laughed, tilting his head back.

His black hoodie slipped from his head and the crimson light caught the ends of his jet black hair. This was the reason I wanted to spend the few remaining hours with him in the human world. I wanted to feel human with him once, before everything was gone. I wanted to feel normal, wanted to feel like Tora for a few last moments. I wouldn't remember my earlier identity once twenty-four hours were up.

The red sky was turning a dark purple steadily, and the lights came up, making the city glitter. A hint of magenta lingered on the steel of the bridge.

"That's the bridge, isn't it?" He pointed behind me, leaving the earlier conversation hanging.

"Yes, that's where you found me," I whispered, memories rushing back at me. Painful, cruel memories. I buried my face in his chest, seeking comfort.

"These memories won't hurt anymore," he breathed, holding me tighter.

"What about you?" I asked. " I selfishly chose the escape route, leaving you to deal with it all."

"I will manage." He averted his eyes. "Time will heal all wounds."

"Mrithun..."

His lips found me silently. The darkness settled on us like a shroud. His lips weren't satisfied with just grazing my lips. He kissed every inch of my face and my neck, as if memorizing my scent for the rest of eternity. There was so much passion in the way he kissed me that I froze in awe, surrendering to the feel of his lips. He broke away once, looking into my eyes. I seized the opportunity to press my lips against his again, fire to frost, hot and cold. I wanted the kiss to brand his name on my lips. I wanted that kiss to be a reminder of our love.

It was fierce and passionate as earth and underworld collided in the union of one of the most unconventional pair of lovers. The emotions hit me like a hurricane, blowing away my sanity into a carnage of destruction. His alluring eyes and his addictive smile seemed to invade into the most private space in my mind, disrobing the lies and leaving only the naked truth behind. I tasted him hungrily. And at that juncture, the little shreds of doubt left were blown in the air like dandelion seeds. I knew I wouldn't be able to live without his memories, not anymore.

"Mrithun," I said, pulling myself away slowly, not wanting to break the intimacy of that moment.

"Yes?" He tilted his head to one side, squinting at me.

"You remember your promise, right?" I said haltingly.

His eyes widened in denial. All the other feelings disappeared , replaced by hurt and betrayal. He let go my waist as if scalded.

"I knew it," he hissed through his teeth. " You would play that trump card again to punish me in the end. Already I would be living without you, and then you want me to live in guilt for all of eternity? Is that the only thing I am capable of, death?"

I felt like a monster. How selfish was I really? I never deserved him.

I wished to say a thousand things to him. I wanted to say sorry for everything, but my words were caught in my throat.

"Say something." His eyes bored into me.

"Just free me, please. You promised." I burst into tears. I wanted a bittersweet goodbye. How did it turn out this way?

"I knew it." He narrowed his eyes. "You humans are all the same."

"Mrithun, I didn't mean it in that way. I don't want to live in a world without you..."

"Then where am I going? I'll be there, Tora." He raised his hands in the air in frustration.

"But not with me..." I mumbled.

"You know what? I'm done here," he said, turning away. He kicked the sand and gravels from his path.

"I hold you to your promise. You can't escape," I shouted over the sound of the raging river tides.

"Do you remember what were the exact words of our promise?" He turned back, giving a dry smile. In the silence of the dying daylight, he looked as mysterious as the day I had met him.

"That I want you to take me..."

"You didn't mention when." he guffawed. "I saved you from taking your own life that day on the bridge. You can trap and manipulate everyone in the underworld by your words. Not me."

"B...but..." I stammered.

"I will come back to take your soul again, when you are ready for it. Not before that."

He laughed again, the skies and the earth echoing that one deep laugh of eternity, of finality, of death.

🖤🖤🖤

Author's Note : So, that brings us to the end of the actual book. Epilogue will be published in two days!

A quick question here. Did you like the book and was it worth it? Please let me know what you feel about this chapter.