Chapter 43

"The silence speaks for itself. If you know them well, you'll know the meaning of all kinds of silences."

🖤🖤🖤

"Hi," I whispered awkwardly, not wanting to break down or make a scene, not in front of Maya. Emotions, though sometimes are a strength, can be one of the greatest weaknesses of humans too.

"You threw away our connecting device," he mumbled, coming closer. His hands were balled into fists at his side.

"You tried to cage me, to control my freedom," I replied, trying to rein my heart in. I would not fall for his charms again.

"I forgot when the protectiveness crossed the line into possessiveness." His beautiful lips trembled. I cast a quick glance at Maya. She didn't look away from her screen, obviously giving us privacy.

"And?" I folded my arms.

"And?" His earlier demeanour was gone, replaced by surprise. His eyebrows rose upon his forehead like two big question marks.

"So, what if you crossed the line?" I asked icily.

"I..." He looked at Maya for a clue. She threw a bored look at him, which said 'this is your problem to handle'.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, just say sorry," another angry voice grumbled at the door.

"Mani..." Uttering his name brought unbidden tears, which I fought back.

"Believe me, Tora. I've made him practice that one word so much, but the great Death chickened out again," Mani snickered. It wasn't exactly disrespectful but seemed like friendly teasing.

Mrithun had been practising to say sorry? That was new. My heart cried out for the poor guy who was still trying to grapple with his unwanted human emotions and struggling to learn our ways just to be with me. But did he know that we couldn't be together? We getting close would definitely kill me.

"Yes, I am sorry for everything, Tora. I shouldn't ha..." He stopped, his voice breaking, "Please come back to me."

"Actually," Maya's voice rang out from behind me, startling us all. "Your human lover has a favour to ask from you, in exchange for that sorry."

"I..." I gulped.

I did have a favour to ask, but I wasn't so mean to ask a favour like that in exchange for a sorry. I threw a pained look at Maya. Her expression was calm. She wasn't influencing anything. It was my choice.

"Anything you ask," Mrithun said quickly.

"You're so quick to make promises these days, Mrithun," Maya chided. "Any promises made in my office shall be final and binding."

"Okay, anything that is possible for me," Mrithun amended.

"Really impulsive of you." Maya shook her head. Only she knew what I wanted to request.

Mrithun looked expectantly at me.

I took a deep breath. My going away forever was really the best choice. Mrithun, Mani, the Fates, they could all go back to how they were before I came. Mrithun would be free and in a few years, they both would move past me and find someone worthy of their love, not a half immortal glitch like me.

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I didn't hold them back this time. There was a sound of a chair being dragged noisily, and Maya was gone with a pop, leaving the three of us alone.

"What happened, Tora, what do you want?" Mrithun asked. "You don't have to be afraid." He reached out, as if to touch my face, but his hands stayed frozen midair. The pain and the dilemma in his eyes were killing me.