Chapter 33

"Beauty is a feeling, not a yardstick to measure one's worth. You are the only one of you. Always remember that."

🖤🖤🖤

"Come after me and mind your steps. This is a bit slippery." Holika opened another door set in the wall of her bedroom.

Behind her was a huge cave, much like the one we came from. She turned around and crossed the threshold to the other side. I followed her and put my foot carefully on the cool rock. It was dingy ahead, with little light straying from somewhere. For a second, I debated whether to follow her. I didn't trust anyone in this realm. Anything could be a trap.

The walls were wet and slimy, with water trickling down continuously. The floor rock was covered completely by a carpet of dark green algae, which felt soft under my feet. But I had to tread carefully because it was wet too.

"Hold the walls," Holika warned. "I won't be able to catch you if you roll down."

"And I'm heavy," I chuckled to myself. "I'll roll like a log."

"Heavy is beautiful and strong. You and I could take out grown men in a fight," Holika chuckled, strutting ahead. She sure knew her way in the dark.

I looked back at the path I came from. It was black too. I was almost in the middle of nowhere with a demoness. The only consolation was that she seemed nice and Mrithun would have never brought me here or let me go alone with her if he didn't trust her.

"Are you okay?" Mrithun's voice rang in my head suddenly, making me jump and almost slip.

I looked around quickly, wondering if I was hallucinating.

"I'm just testing if the communicator is still working," he chortled. "Don't panic."

"The last time I heard, this communicator couldn't detect moods," I whispered, trying to bring some bravery into my voice.

"Those are the depths of hell, and you are just a little girl," he teased.

"I am not little," I hissed, trying to keep the relief from my voice. His being here, at least on the other side of the communicator was a consolation enough. But I would not show it to him.

He laughed generously at the other end. "Go take a bath. I should give you ladies some privacy."

His voice turned off so suddenly that I panicked.

"No!" I wailed.

"What?" Holika looked back at me, concerned.

"I just slipped," I lied. "I'm fine now."

"I knew you needed me," Mrithun replied quietly in my head, as I followed Holika with a sigh.

Our feet made no sound as we treaded on rocks with bare feet. The sound of trickling water was replaced with gushing noises as invisible underground streams flowed somewhere. A little ahead, the tunnel opened up into a bigger space, which seemed to be lighter. The noise of the water was very near here.

"Hold my hand," Holika offered me her big palm.

I dithered for a moment before putting my small, stubby hand on hers.

"This part is risky, so hold on," she warned, gripping my hand tighter.

"What is down here?" I asked.

"A natural geyser from a volcano," she replied nonchalantly.

"A volcano?" I gulped.

"Dormant for aeons. This will never erupt. The biggest forces of hell, keep it sleeping."