Chapter 12

"You were granted life with a purpose, not as a choice. So uniting with Death isn't your choice either. Stay in the arms of Life."

🖤🖤🖤

 "How may we help you?" One of the Fates rose from her seat, silently floating towards me.

Her canary dress glittered with speckled blood rubies. The strong oily liquid swirled in her glass as she sipped it lazily, her eyes scanning over me.

"I-um-I..."

"Yes?" Her voice was surprisingly gentle.

"I'm a new intern in the House of Kuber. Mr Kuber sent me here as a personal fashion advisor for you three, Madame," I drawled, making up lines on the spot.

She raised an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry," I blurted, "I'm new here and quite lost. I didn't mean to barge into your evening relaxation time."

"It's okay, honey. We can keep her, can't we, Atropos?"

The second sister had somehow appeared at her side.

"She does really seem lost, Clotho," the first sister mumbled. Honey dripped from each word. Her voice was almost like a lullaby.

"I think we should let Kuber know his intern has reached here safely. There are so many places to get lost in the underworld, when you don't belong here, little Yakshini." The third sister gave me a lazy grin, still playing with the water.

"No," I panicked.

Clotho and Atropos frowned.

"I mean, I wasn't supposed to reveal to you all about me being an intern. Doesn't look good on the reputation of Mr Kuber to hire inexperienced staff," I said slowly, trying to cover up. "But I told you all honestly, because you three seem kind enough."

 "Kind enough?" Clotho laughed.

Atropos gave a sly smile too, "You are really cute."

"Please don't say that to Mr Kuber." I gave them one of my puppy-eyed looks."And you being women, would understand how the big bad male ego is. He says he doesn't want me acting like a kid."

"We know the male ego, girl," Atropos said.

"And to crush someone's big ego, we recently took some measures." Clotho nudged her sister.

"And the look on his face," Atropos tittered.

"And that little imp of his was shaking like a dry leaf." Clotho shrugged.

There was no doubt whom they were speaking about. Mrithun hissed at the other end of my earpiece. I almost jumped. I had completely forgotten that he was listening.

"Who is it, Madame?" I inquired, faking enthusiasm. I had to get in their good books.

"Death. We replaced him with the new age technology. What a shame!"

Mrithun growled. For a brief second, I was afraid they could hear his rage, but they were still nudging each other and giggling like spoiled rich women. I felt anger burn through my system. I couldn't afford to lose my calm just yet, so I gulped some air and kept quiet.