Chapter 11

"Death is a prized destination for some, but most aren't ready to endure the journey, just yet."

🖤🖤🖤

We kept on walking in silence and the serpentine passage ended in a wide funnel-like tunnel. And Mrithun halted and turned to me.

"Beyond this, you have to go alone, I'm afraid."

"Okay," I gulped, looking at the darkness of the path in front of me. I was entering the company of ageless beings, with no knowledge about anyone.

"Take this." He extended his hand. A little silver ring was sitting on his palm.

"It's a communicator. With this I can hear you and you can talk to me," he answered the unasked question.

I pinched it between my fingers. It was too small to be worn on my finger. It was an earring.

"One?" I gave a nervous grin.

"Oops, sorry," he laughed, waving his hands in the air and the ring split into two. I threaded them carefully through my earlobes.

"Pretty," he mumbled, his fingers brushing gently over the right ring. His palms slightly grazed against my cheek and I shivered, involuntarily. He drew back immediately and the light in his eyes died down again.

"So," I fidgeted with my hands, trying to draw out the moment of separation, "this is it then?"

"Can I ask you something?" he whispered.

"If I say no, will you not?" I raised my eyebrows.

"I will ask anyway, even if I don't get an answer." He grinned goofily.

"Ask away," I encouraged.

"Why are you doing this?" he said finally.

"To get my name into the system of the Fates..." I replied, unsure of why he was asking.

"And your lover?" he questioned.

I paused for a second, thinking. I wasn't going to answer this one outright.

"Yes, if possible, I would want to bring him back."

His face fell as soon as I uttered those words.

"Okay. Then good luck." He gave a small smile which appeared forced.

"Why? What was the right answer?" I asked pointedly.

"I wanted your answer. There's no right or wrong, Tora. Everything in this world is a mixture and chaos."

I didn't want to push him anymore, so I turned around and started walking. As soon as I entered the dark passage, his voice echoed in my mind like a whisper.

"You're stronger than you think, Tora."

I smiled as I walked further, my shoes making a clip-clop noise in the dark space. Soon, the darkness started fading, and the walls started glowing in cerulean blue light. The blue faded to a starch white a little ahead. I walked faster towards the brighter area. It felt like travelling through a portal and I landed in a beautiful garden. I was standing on a gravelly path running through a park. Old Victorian lampposts made of gold lined the streets, each with a single lamp hanging from an ornate frame. On closer inspection, I realised it wasn't a lamp but a dazzling jewel that sparkled and cast its beam in all directions.

The trees were dark black and so were the bushes. Little shiny flowers bloomed in the cove of the shadowy leaves. I bent down a little, to catch a better glimpse of the unique flower, to realise it was a filigree of gold lace, woven like petals with a single pearl in the centre. I stepped back in shock. These were really distracting. I had never seen so much riches. Plus, I couldn't afford to be too curious about everything. That would lead to suspicion.

"Tora?" Mrithun's voice whispered to me through the communicator.

"Hi, again," I mumbled.

"All good till now?"

"Except the mind-blowing extravagance, yes."

"What did you see?" He chuckled from the other end.

I told him about the flowers.

"Don't touch any of that stuff. There could be traps."

"I know, but why is everything so empty here?" I looked around, confused.

Above me, there wasn't a ceiling, or it was so high that it appeared like the sky except this sky was dark and starless. That was the only confirmation that I was below the ground and not above.

"Go ahead. It must be their evening spa time," he laughed again.

"As if there are mornings in your land." I mentally rolled my eyes.

His laughter echoed through me, filling my heart with mirth. It felt right, like that moment was meant to be.

I moved further ahead, trying to keep my mind focused on my goals. It was then that I heard laughter. Little giggles and subtle whispers wafted through the air. My curiosity piqued. The path had disappeared into a little cluster of trees. A beautiful honey coloured light shone from between the tree trunks. I peered into the gap of the trees. It was a little grove. A clear pool of sparkling liquid was at the centre. Recliners and antique seats made of polished wood lined the little waterbody.

And there were the three Fates, glamourous as ever, lounging on the chairs. One of them sprawled on the small steps leading to the water. She had her feet dipped in the water and little ripples arose as her dainty feet played with the water. In her hand was a Shiraz glass. The dark liquid swirled in its extravagant chalice. The other two sat at a distance, busy in some discussion. They held champagne flutes, which they sipped slowly.

"Is there a supply chain of alcohol from the human world down here?" I whispered.

"Vintage wine goes up from here to your world."

"What? You mean from the pits of hell?" I couldn't even fathom if he was joking or being serious.

"Ya, that's why alcohol is called the devil's drink. We made the recipes for destruction and death," he paused. "Slow death kind of."

"Alcohol isn't exactly death," I argued.

"You sure?"

I pondered over his words for a moment. Alcohol caused a lot of deaths, directly or indirectly. I had never even thought about touching wine, but I didn't judge people for their drinking habits. It's your life to mend or spoil. I'm just a bystander.

"Anyway, I'm going to talk to them," I avoided the question.

"Go ahead. I am listening," he encouraged.

I took a deep breath and stepped into the grove. Three pairs of luminous eyes shot up at me.

And I forgot what I had to say.

🖤🖤🖤

A/N Are you loving it so far? What's the best part about this story that you loved till now?