Chapter 29

"Life for us now is a result of just a number of choices made at different situations. Who knew where we would be if we had made another choice at that moment? "

🖤🖤🖤

However, the Pisachas didn't linger for long, be it because they had a destination to reach, or because of the cold politeness that Mrithun had shown them, but I couldn't be happier that they left. I looked at Mani as he let out a long deep sigh.

"That was close." Mrithun relaxed his shoulders finally, coming towards me slowly. The reflection from the water was creating shadowy ripples on his skin as the light caressed his soft features. I longed to reach out and stroke the perfect gorgeousness, but I held back. There were more important matters to discuss than to sort out my feelings.

"They are absolutely savage," Mrithun commented.

"You seemed to know them for long," I countered.

"They're like the goons of the underworld. I call them to do my dirty job, things I wouldn't do myself," Mrithun said slowly, looking into my eyes, maybe noticing my reaction.

"What jobs?" I shuddered.

"In my line of work, there are loads of things which I need to do. I am Death, Tora, I take lives. Even you know that." He raised his hands in a gesture of desperation and turned away. "I am not a saint or a pious hermit. I have taken lives throughout my existence, as far as I can remember. I have had to deal with dirty politics and all sorts of underground business going down here. There are slaves and masters and sick games and everything. The underworld isn't the posh offices you saw in the past few days."

A chill ran down my spine. I wrapped my arms around myself in a semblance of warmth as I tried to grasp the new facts. If you play with burning coal, you're bound to get scalded. And the life which I chose for myself with Mrithun wouldn't be a bed of roses. It'll be walking on thorns and it didn't make me afraid anymore. The earlier thoughts in my solitary prison had already evaporated. I knew as long as my destiny was Mrithun, the storms in the way ceased to matter.

"There are some things we can't help, Tora," Mani spoke up, perhaps worried that they had freaked me out and I was going to run for my life any moment now. "Immortal life is all a game of balance. You, mortals, are lucky that you have to play the tricky game only for a few years and for us it is millenniums."

"I'm fine," I said quietly, letting my hands fall to my sides. My heart was racing, but I took in a deep whiff of air. The air smelt of salts and the petrichor of wet earth, and it tickled my nose in a good way. The cave was beautifully breathtaking, perfect for a romantic getaway. Who would know it was the gateway to the deepest secrets of hell?

"Then it's time for me to leave you two alone." Mani gave a sad smile. "Best of luck with your onward journey."

I felt a pang of sorrow in my heart. Mani was the first person besides Mrithun who genuinely cared for me in the unknown realm. And if things go wrong, I might not even see him again.

"Tora, we'll meet again," Mani soothed, gazing softly into my eyes. I could feel the floodgates opening as the water spilt over the dam of self-control and emotions rolled down my cheeks.

"Hey hey hey, come here," Mani clasped my hand and dragged me closer. "Look at me." He held my chin and tipped my face up, searching my eyes once. Then he lifted my palms to his lips and kissed them, one at a time. There was no lust in his gesture, just a sense of pure, friendly warmth.

"This will not be easy I know..."

"Goodbyes are never easy, Mani," my voice broke. "But unfortunately, some goodbyes need to happen. Does it make it any better? No, it doesn't. Every time I had to bid goodbye to someone or the other, it killed me a little. The person usually tore off and took a part of my heart with him or her when they departed. Friends and acquaintances, my parents..." I paused.