47 | s h i f t i n g

"What a sad thing men are. Can't do nothing good without being so weak we have to mess it up. Can't build something up without tearing it down."

Patrick Ness

/ / h a r r y / /

I shove my hand into the pocket of my jeans and retrieve the apartment key. I curse under my breath as I feel a headache forming and I pause to get myself together. The pain doesn't disappear and I have no choice but to continue. Sticking the key into the door, I unlock it and walk inside. I expect to see Zayn laying on the floor crying or whining or something of the sort. He isn't anywhere in sight. I lock the door behind me and sit my key down on the nearby kitchen counter. There is a piece of paper sitting on the counter and I snatch it up. As I glance over it, my eyes widen.

Dear Big Scary Man,

Zayn got hungry! Everyone deserves to eat...even Zayn. Zayn is a big boy now! He can go to the store all by himself. He can do a lot of things by himself now. Zayn would get the big man some food, too, but Zayn doesn't know what the big man likes to eat. Does the big man even eat? Zayn will have to ask the big man when he comes back. If the big man is back before Zayn, the big man must know that Zayn is still at the store or walking back here. Okay...bye bye now!

From,

Zayn (:

"Bullshit!" I yell out and crumble the piece of paper in my hands. "Zayn, where the hell are you?" 

I hurry throughout the apartment just in case he's hiding somewhere. I check all of the closets and even look behind all of the doors. I cannot find him and the anger within me rises. He shouldn't have gone anywhere without my permission. When I do find him, I'm going to have to make him pay. My newborn marked ones never behave and it is up to me to straighten them out. It took me quite some time to straighten Louis out but I got him where I wanted him.

Then he met Evelyn.

I shake my head and try to focus on finding Zayn. There are more than enough stores around here. By now, he can be in any of those stores. Depending on how long it takes for me to find him depends on how I'm going to punish him. Since he is so hungry, I just might make him starve. I exit the apartment and shove the key back into my pocket.

"Damn asshole," I mutter under my breath. "I can't trust you to stay put." I pinch the bridge of my nose as I walk across the parking lot to the car that I borrowed. "Jesus, Harry. Now, you're talking to yourself." I open the trunk to the vehicle and the man I stole the car from starts to scream. This makes me slam the trunk closed. I examine my human fingernails for exactly forty-five seconds before opening the trunk again. He screams again and I rip the duct tape off of his lips. He screams bloody murder. "I find it very interesting when a man screams."

He yells, "Take anything you want! Just let me go!"

I chuckle, "But that wouldn't be much fun, now would it?"

"What do you want?"

"Well, I wanted your car. So, I took it. That's why you're currently in the trunk of your own vehicle. It's sad, really. You barely put up a fight. Then again, your arms remind me of a chicken." I sigh and he looks confused. "I want you to tell me something."

"Anything!"

"If I decided to walk to a grocery store, which store would I go to?"

He looks around before looking back at me, "The nearest store is at least thirty minutes away by car. It would take at least an hour and a half to get there by foot. Can you let me go now? I have a wife and three children under the age of five! One's on the way. Don't kill me!"