4 | Sarah Fier's back

"This is why Kate is more of my best friend than you

"This is why Kate is more of my best friend than you."

~~~

"Dad, I'm home." I hear Simon enter our house. "He's not your dad." I walk into the room. "Not yet." He smiles. "Huh? No, I don't want you as a brother." I make a face making him grab me, spinning me around. "I don't think that's what he means." My dad mumbles to himself and I don't hear him. "So, what's for dinner?" Simon asks, resting his chin on the top of my head. "I already called pizza." Kate shows up. "I regret not making rules for you two." My dad complains. "You love the company." Kate smiles at him. "Yeah, don't you love having more children?" Simon asks him while shaking me. "I already have two, I didn't ask for two more." My dad says, making us all laugh. "But you love us." Kate comes to hug me with Simon.

"I guess. I mean you both mean a lot to Liz so you mean a lot to me too." He tells them and they go to hug him. "I love my other kids." He laughs. While we wait for the pizza, dad does some work at the table, Kate paints her nails, and Simon and I watch tv. While I was paying attention to the movie on tv, Simon starts to play with my hands and rings on my fingers. He randomly starts to count as I see his thumb on top of mine. "Cheater!" I move my thumb. "I was almost at ten." He cheats using his other hand. "Cheater!" I fight with him. I try to pull away and fall on the floor with him coming with me since he was determined to win. When our lips accidentally touch we back away quickly, staying quiet.

"I'll get it!" I jump up as the doorbell rings. I pay for the pizza and we all eat. "I think you two should be heading home. It's getting late and you have school tomorrow." My dad tells Kate and Simon. "Yeah. It's that time." Kate throws away her trash. Once Simon threw away his too, they both said goodbye before heading home. "What happened between you and Simon before the pizza showed up? You two were slightly awkward eating." My dad asks, cleaning up. "Nothing." I lie, and he gives me a look. "Ugh, our lips touched as when we fell off the couch." I turn around. "It's obvious you two like each other. I wouldn't mind, unlike your mother. You two are cute together. You should tell him because I think you are going to have to be the one to say something first." He tells me. "I'm going to bed. If I don't see you in the morning, I'll see you after the game tomorrow. Night night." I kiss his cheek going to my room.

~

"Shadyside, small-town American. But among locals, a history of horror has earned it another nickname, Killer Capital USA. And last night, tragedy struck again." I come out of my room to see dad left the tv on. "I'm here with Sheriff Nick Goode. Sheriff, what can you tell us?" The news reporter asks him. "Uh, there were seven victims, uh, ages, uh 16 to 42. Uh, the perpetrator's also deceased." He lets us know what he can. "Shadyside sits just beside Sunnyvale, one of the safest and wealthiest communities in the country... What is it about Shadyside? How do we end this cycle of violence?" The reporter asks right before I turn the TV off. "Who knows? But I know it's the damn curse." I head out to school.