No Survivors

‘No survivors have been found yet, regarding flight 409.’

‘Flight 409 passengers are currently being identified by dental records.’

‘The listed passengers have not yet been confirmed.’

The news had been covering the crash every day. I eventually got sick of it and shut off my radio. Tomorrow was race day and I planned on having the car done by then. I worked my ass off on it, and eventually had it all put together. Turning the key I was met by a satisfying rumble of the engine. I took the car out to the abandoned track outside of town to practice a few laps in it.

“Perfect.” I said smiling to myself.

I had painted the body of my car before starting on the engine. My car was now a glossy grey, with dark tinted windows so no one could see in.

I pulled up to the races with a smile on my face, but didn’t get out of the car. I pulled up to the starting line, and saw the shock on the faces of many of the racers. This just isn’t how things were done around here. I watched Hector walk over to my car and cracked the window a bit.

“What’s the buy in?” I asked looking at Hector above my glasses.

“You sure you want to do this little lady. Toretto has never seen a pair of taillights.”

“I’m sure. I’ve never seen a set of taillights either.” I said pulling three grand out of my glove box and handing it to him. “That should cover the buy in.” I said and rolled the window back up. I watched as Dom got in his car, and pulled up next to me. I watched as he tried to look in the window of my car, and then smirked when he realized he couldn’t see in. I cracked my window open, when he gestured to roll the window down, and heard him say something.

“You sure you want to do this, new blood.” He asked through the cracked window. I revved my engine as my answer. “Alright let’s make this interesting then. If I win, you step out of that car.” I revved my engine again, and he smirked. “You gonna make your counter offer?” he asked when he was met with silence. In response I rolled up the passengers’ window. I looked around to see two other racers had pulled up at the starting line.

One of the racer chasers stepped up between the cars, and signaled for us to go. Dom and I were the first two leave the starting line, quickly followed by the other racers. Just as we passed the finish line one of the other racers clipped the tail end of my car causing me to lose control, and the car to flip twice before landing back on its wheels.

Hector was the first to make it over to my car, and I rolled down the window slightly. “Give the money to Brian O’Connor. Tell him it’s a baby gift.” I said and left before to many other people could crowd around the car. When I got home I pulled my car all the way into the garage and shut the door before taking stock of my own wounds.

I was bleeding from my left shoulder, my right side, and I could feel blood running down my back as well. “Shit.” I yelled kicking the garage door before moving to the front of the house to go inside. I was just opening the door when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Spinning around I punched whoever it was in the face. I looked down to see Brian holding his cheek and looking at me wearily.