Part thirty-two, "Stay with me"

Someone chooses that time to come running and nearly trip to a stop. You expect Alby, but it's Minho. His eyes widen.

"What the shu-"

"Minho!" you exclaim gratefully. "I- I need you to do something, I need you to go get Alby- he's somewhere in the Maze, he went to the right at the entrance, and Newt's hurt and I don't know what to do!"

You sound so desperate that Minho departs almost instantly, after staring at the pool of blood his friend was lying in. You stop crying long enough to stand up and start dragging Newt's limp body. You're strong for a girl, but it's tough work. He groans in pain several times, but you can't stop. You can't. Even though it'll probably be hours before the Doors close, better safe than sorry. You have to keep going, no matter what.

Somehow you run into Alby and Minho, and together, it's easier to bring Newt back into the Glade. Ignoring the staring eyes from the Gladers, you grip Newt's hand as you walk alongside Minho and Alby.

"Come on, Newt, stay with me," you whisper. "Please."

Your head becomes blurry as the two other boys carry him into the med-hut and you have to let go. Clint asks no questions but instantly sees the second in command's condition and states that he has a broken leg. You wince when you hear it, but know it can be fixed. The only thing is, how much will it hurt him? You stay just outside the door, but hear a loud cry and know you can't take it anymore. You run to the woods, wanting nothing more than to get away from your best friend's pain.

You sit against a tall tree, head in your hands, the sobbing returning. A twig snaps behind you, but you don't make any attempt to stop crying to even see who it is. Someone sits beside you and puts their arm around your shoulder.

"Minho," you whisper, choking.

"It's okay, Y/n," he says. You could swear he sounds like he's been crying. "He's gonna be okay."

"Thank you," you say, leaning your head on his shoulder. Finally you gather the courage to ask the dreaded question. "Why do you think he did it?"

Minho is silent for awhile. "I don't know," he says at last.

You lift your head and hand him the note that somehow stayed in your hand. "He left this for me. For you too."

Minho reads it and even though he doesn't show it, you can tell how much he's hurting inside. Then he hands back the note and you two stay there for the rest of the day. When the sun goes down, you walk back to the med-hut, eager but nervous to see Newt. Clint comes out and tells you that he might not be awake for awhile, but you can go in to see him.

"You go first," says Minho. You nod and open the creaky bamboo door. Everything seems so- so quiet. You can see him on the bed, seemingly asleep. You draw in a shaky breath, then sit down in the chair by the bedside.

"Hey," you say, knowing he can't hear you. You want him to respond, though, but that's a stupid thought. "I need to know..." You pause, not sure how to say this. It won't matter if he can't hear me, you think.

"Why did you do that?" Your lip quivers, and you choke. "Why did you do that, Newt?"