Chapter 7

Wei Wuxian was sitting crisscrossed on a boulder next to the Cold Ponds, playing on his dizi. He was playing a melody that was unfamiliar to Jiang Wanyin's ear, but he must admit it was very beautiful and somehow made his heart ache a little bit.

He felt the longing, the love and the pain from it. It was actually a really sad yet magnificent piece.

The music stopped and Wei Wuxian turned his head slightly in Jiang Cheng's direction.

"You don't have to sneak, I don't bite." The man said, standing and coming up to him.

"Yhm, you swallow it whole."

"A-Cheng, don't be a meanie."

"Don't call me that." he said sternly.

Wuxian tensed and his shoulders dropped. "Right, sorry. I forgot."

Wanyin sighed "Whatever, forget it. A little birdie told me that you are kind of depressed or something, so I came to knock some sense into that empty skull of yours."

"Pff.. Since when is Lan Zhan a bird hmm? I never took him for a tattletale. It's usually my role."

"That hubby of yours is just worried about your stupid ass."

"And the letter was not addressed to you. You came and you bribed him with that ball of fluff."

"Well, if you weren't a stubborn piece of shit I wouldn't have been here anymore. But no, you had to go and hurt Huaisang's feelings again."

"I am going to apologize to him. I got back to my senses after a talk with Lan Zhan."

"It took you long enough." Jiang Cheng folded his hands behind his back and straightened up.

"I know that I have my head stuck deep in my own ass. That's why I am blind to many things."

"I know the direction that this talk is going in, as always, and I want you to stop. I will never forgive you, Wei Wuxian."

"Jian.."

"Don't interrupt me." he said sternly. "You don't deserve my forgiveness and you will never get it. I can move on from that, but this pain will always be engraved in my heart, it will never vanish. You always claim that the Wens' you've protected were innocent, but they were not. None of them except for that little boy. They were part of the Sect that killed innocent people, my parents, my Sect. If I knew it would all end up that way, I would have never sacrificed myself in order to save you. I got captured by them so you would have been safe and strong to protect Yanli. I lost my golden core for that and yet it was all futile, because you had to play a fucking hero. Am I supposed to thank you, for giving me your golden core? Because just so you know, I won't. But then, Yanli chose to orphan her own child for you, so I cannot hold you fully accountable for that, though you played a big role in the things that lead to it."

Wei Wuxian stood in place, his jaw dropped but he wasn't moving at all. His eyes got a little bit teary at the mention of Jiang Yanli, but it was always that way. Yet, the thing that stunned him the most were Jiang Cheng's words about his golden core.

"Wha.. What do you mean that you lost your golden core while saving me?"

Jiang Cheng pursed his lips and closed his eyes. He leaned against the tree behind him to keep himself from falling. He felt emotionally exhausted

"When you went out to buy some medicine and food for Yanli I felt uneasy so I went after you. I saw the guards approaching you and I diverted their attention towards me. They captured me and took me to Lotus Pier, but you two were safe, and that was the only thing that mattered to me. I knew you were more capable of taking care of her, you always were better than me in every aspect. That's what I thought back then. "

"Why haven't you told me? If I knew.."

"It would have changed absolutely nothing. They would have died, you would have died, and Wen Rouhan would have killed everyone who would disobey him. That's the truth. You defeated him, I will admit that but the price wasn't worth it"

"I am sorry, I really am."

"I know you are, but sometimes "I am sorry" is not good enough. Especially, when you don't really regret your actions."