Chapter 2

The trip to Cloud Recesses wasn't too long and exhausting, but Nie Huaisang never was a big fan of going anywhere too far away from Qinghe Nie Clan quarters. Even during his first trip to Cloud Recesses, when he was going to participate in the Gusu Lan Clan lectures, he complained a lot. But now he wasn't that young and naive boy, who knew little about the true colors of the world.

That's one of the reasons he kind of disliked Cloud Recesses. He felt like this was the place in which he started losing his innocence, for a matter of fact, they all did. If he knew back then, that his life would take such a drastic turn, he would hide in some cave, away from everyone, and even his brother would not be able to persuade him to leave.

However, life is full of 'what ifs'. We cannot predict many things, we can plan them, yes, but we can't be sure they will turn out the way we want them to. That's a life lesson he learned the harsh way.

Right now he was resting on a river side, having a picnic with his companion. They sat on a soft blanket under a tree, enjoying its shadow, that protects them from the biggest heat that day. Huaisang took a piece of an apple and put it in the mans' mouth, stealing a kiss or two in between.

"I can't believe you really bought a bunny for Hanguang-jun," he said, petting the animal's head.

"How could I now, when it's so cute. Besides, just look at him. Doesn't he remind you of him?"

Huaisang narrowed his eyes and refrained from an annoyed sigh.

"Okay, tell me my love. How exactly does he resemble Lan Wangji?"

"Just look at his little, furry face. Doesn't he look like a constantly annoyed and irritated prick?" He states and this time Huaisang can't stop himself from rolling his eyes.

"If you want to be at peace with him and enter Cloud Recesses instead of camping outside, you better save those snarky comments for yourself." He warns him, pointing his finger at him, but the man tries to bite him. "Ah, you freaking animal. You're sleeping on the floor."

"Wouldn't be the first time," he chuckled.

"You are testing my patience lately."

***

They arrived at their final destination later that day, all stinky and sweaty.

"I would love to take a bath right now," Nie Huaisang groaned, cooling himself with his fan.

"That can be arranged in no time," they heard from behind, which made them turn their heads to the side.

Hanguang-jun was walking down the rocky stairs with that ever present elegance and grace. His steps were smooth, almost as if he didn't touch the ground while walking. His robes in shades of white and blue arranged impeccably, as if he had just changed them. But that was always the case, with that almost impeccably perfect Lan Wangji.

"Hanguang-jun," they bowed their heads in greeting, but also in respect.

"Nie Huaisang, I don't remember mentioning for you to bring a companion." He stated raising his eyebrows.

"I know. He tagged along anyway. I have a difficulty with saying 'no' to him, I am sure you will understand me in that matter. Besides, I believe that he will be even more helpful than I will, with accomplishing your goal."

"And I brought a bribe," the man said excitedly, putting out a cage with a little black bunny in front of him.

Lan Wangji remained stoic.

"Utterly ridiculous."

Nie Huaisang giggled, covering his mouth with his fan.

"Come. I will take you to your room, because I assume that you share one. Correct me if I am wrong."

"Oh no, you are absolutely right about that. It's hard to let him go off my embrace for even a moment, not mentioning a whole night," the man stated seriously, because it was in reality, a completely correct and sincere confession.

Huaisang gave him a fierce look.

"Forgive him please, you know that sometimes he doesn't have a filter."

"Yhmm.. Just like the certain someone we know. Come his way, please. I will escort you and the servants will take care of your needs," he proceeded to go in front of them but halted abruptly and turned around. "Give that poor creature to me. Heaven knows it suffers in your presence."