Chapter 2- In Which Toby Sneaks Off

Prince Theobald Reganne had absolutely no interest in marrying some girl he'd never even met, which was why he was currently strolling out the castle gates wearing a long dress and a frilly hat the covered most of his face. He'd stolen those clothing items off a maid, leaving a handful of silver coins in their place.

It didn't matter to him in the slightest that this girl was supposedly wealthy and attractive (in his brother's mind, any girl that had the correct amount of eyes, ears, and fingers counted as attractive so he had low expectations). He'd still been engaged to her without his consent while he'd been away at school.

And here I thought Archie would be more considerate of my opinion about something like this. I guess debt is debt though, and he'd sell me off to repay it.

Even he mostly understood Archibald's reasoning for the engagement, he didn't agree with it and wasn't just going to stand by.

He walked confidently into the capital city, and found a place to exchange his maid's clothing for a peasant's outfit complete with a hat that he shoved his shoulder-length blond hair underneath. He whistled cheerfully as he searched for a caravan leaving the city.

Freedom would be his.

"Where are you heading?" he asked an apprentice at a group of wagons that looked to be spice merchants.

"Abesta." The boy said.

Perfect. That's almost at the border.

"Need another set of hands?" He asked.

The boy shot him a critical glance. "You don't look like you could lift much."

Hey! I've done years of sword training! I could clobber you!

"As a guard. I'm quite fierce with a sword." Theobald said.

The kid shot him another glance. "Sure you are."

Theobald suddenly realized that he'd left his sword in his room, propped up beside the door.

Well that's embarrassing.

"I'm messing with you, I'm actually here to offer my help with the horses."

Archibald had insisted that he learn how to feed, groom, and even shoe horses as part of his knight's training, and Theobald was finally grateful for it.

"I know how to shoe horses."

"Oh. The boss probably will want you then." The kid said, not looking as impressed as Theobald had thought he would. He pointed to a wagon covered with a green tarp.

Theobald strolled over.

"What can I do for you, young man?" asked the head merchant.

"I'm looking for a job. I tend horses."

"Do you know how to shoe them?" the man asked.

"Sure do!"

"Prove it."

Is it just me or are they a little rude?

"Bella there's shoe came off this morning." The merchant said, pointing to a grey mare.

"I'm on it." Theobald said.

The merchant watched as he fixed a shoe to the mare's right front hoof. The scrutiny made Theobald uncomfortable, but he bore with it.

"You're hired." The merchant announced. "What's your name?"

Of shit I didn't come up with one.

"T...Toby." Theobald said, stuttering out the first syllables that popped into his mouth.

The merchant gave him a strange look.

"You can call me Mr. Hexing. Do you have a last name, Toby?"

"Nope!"

"I see." Mr. Hexing said. "You see Harry over there?"

Mr. Hexing pointed over to the boy that had pointed Toby in his direction.

Toby nodded.

"There's an extra sleeping spot in his wagon. Have him show it to you. You can put any luggage you have there."

Toby nodded and wandered back to Harry.

"You get kicked out?" Harry asked, barely looking up from his work.

"Nope, I'm hired."

"How exciting." Harry said flatly.

This kid is a bit of an asshole.

"Boss said I'm going to be in the extra sleeping spot in your wagon and that you're to show it to me." Toby said.

Harry left his work and wandered around their camp, stopping for a ladle full of water from the barrel, then to snag a biscuit from the mess wagon, then to chat with several other boys before he finally took Toby to their wagon.

"First lesson." Toby said. "Boss sends you on an errand, take your sweet time. Breaks are scarce."

"Oh. I see." Toby said. "I'm Toby, by the way."

Harry stared at him, uninterested. "Okay."

Harry wandered back towards the boxes he'd been loading.

"Hey, can you give me a hand with this?" asked a girl who was practically being crushed by an enormous basket of laundry.

It took Toby a moment to register that she was speaking to him. He rushed forward, taking one end of the hamper and taking some of the weight.

"Thanks." She panted.

She was cute, with brunette hair pulled back in twin braids beneath her kerchief tied over her head, and clear skin.

"No problem." He said.

They carried it over to Mr. Hexing's wagon and she began to hand armfuls of neatly folded clothing to a smiling middle-aged woman that seemed to be Mrs. Hexing.

"Thanks, dear." Mrs. Hexing said, smiling at the girl.

"You're welcome, ma'am." She said, and scurried off with her now only half-full basket of clothing, not giving Toby an opportunity to help her carry it.

Weird, she didn't even ask me my name. It doesn't seem like a big enough caravan that anyone would be strangers to each other. Maybe people are just rude here?

Or maybe, you're just too used to the way of things in the castle. Etiquette will obviously be different for peasants.

Although he still thought Harry had probably intentionally been rude to him. The girl had mostly seemed preoccupied with her work.

Huh. I guess I didn't get her name either.

"Are you just going to stand there all day?" Mrs. Hexing asked him, voice stern.

"Hm? Oh, right! Sorry!" Toby said, rushing over to where the horses were.

He checked each of their shoes, and made sure they'd all been fed and watered. By the time he was done with that, it was time for him to start helping hitch them up to the wagons.

With that task finished, he climbed into the wagon with Harry and the other boys. His heart leaped as they began to move.

He was finally leaving the capital, and his tragic fate.