Chapter 15- Fayen

"Hey, Indeara?" Sedine asked the next morning.

Indeara paused, a half-folded blanket in her hand.

"So I asked my friend about that letter, ko." Sedine said. "And she said it was part of the archaic form of the Telare alphabet. So, sorry for doubting you about that."

"Archaic?" Indeara asked.

"Yeah." Sedine said. "They stopped using that letter like, a long time ago."

"What?" Indeara said. "Sedine, I'm certain that everyone where I'm from uses this letter."

"Were you raised in a cult or something?" Vassa asked brightly.

Was I?

Like most things, Indeara could remember. Her family and community were nothing but a massive, black gash ripped into her memory.

"Can you remember ever attending a linguistics academy?" Sedine asked "Maybe a boarding school?"

"Oh, I guess that would make more sense than a cult." Vassa said.

"Those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive." Pinky interjected.

"No, I can't." Indeara said, answering Sedine's question.

"But that doesn't mean you didn't." Sedine said. "That's the most logical explanation I can think of right now."

Indeara put those thoughts out of her mind as they began to walk.

They went on foot like that for the next four days, skirting around any villages and sleeping in fields or woods. Then the small supply of food that Sedine had bought in Kestrel began to dwindle, and they set course to a town called Amina.

"Alright, Pinky. I'm afraid you attract too much attention." Sedine said. "Why don't you wait in the woods here while we go buy supplies?"

"But what if some hooligan thinks I'm free game and drags me off?" Pinky asked fearfully.

"Bite him." Sedine suggested

"Sedine, I think I'd better stay with her." Vassa said. "I can't let anything happen to her. I hope you understand."

"We'll be fine." Sedine promised. "Indeara, remember: my name is Sedna, not Sedine."

"Got it." Indeara said.

They entered Amina, and found the nearest inn.

"How may I help you?" the man at the front desk asked.

"Do you sell waybread?" Sedine asked.

"We ran out this morning." The man apologized. "You could try the Fir Tree Inn a few streets over."

"Thanks for the advice." Sedine said, bestowing a smile on him.

"No problem. Have a nice day." He said.

"This is not a bad town." Indeara commented as they walked.

The streets were relatively clean, and it didn't stink as much as cities tended too.

"Yeah," Sedine said. "Some previous queen used to have a mansion here so they have a lot of pride in themselves."

"Oh I see."

A queen's mansion...

She felt like she should remember something like that.

She froze in her tracks, images of a tall tower, cloaked in fog, raced through her mind.